How do you decide where to drill the ceiling

Sponsored Links
Sorry if it was unclear @conny. The light has been fitted and I used my old approach of gritting my teeth whilst drilling the ceiling board. If it's hollow, I will use a plug and if it hits timber, I will screw straight into this. As I said, my experiences thus far have all been around lighter light fittings and hence the strength of a timber fix hasn't always been necessary. My main concern was the risk of hitting a cable. Hence the need for this post.

Following advice from everyone, I am now inclined to use the drill in a controlled fashion and stop as soon as it pierces through the board. I can then react to the situation behind the board. Also, if I am working with heavier lights, I could use a pilot drill or small screwdriver blade to locate a joist. I have also noted the magnet approach.

Thanks for all the responses.

Sorry if it was unclear @conny. The light has been fitted and I used my old approach of gritting my teeth whilst drilling the ceiling board. If it's hollow, I will use a plug and if it hits timber, I will screw straight into this. As I said, my experiences thus far have all been around lighter light fittings and hence the strength of a timber fix hasn't always been necessary. My main concern was the risk of hitting a cable. Hence the need for this post.

In some really old installations, I would sometimes find a diagonal hole had been drilled through the joist, so the cables would appear coming through the centre of the joist below the ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back