Down lights correct procedure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to have 6 down lights installed in a first floor hall way ceiling. The necessitates drilling 80mm holes where the joists are to facilitate the running of cables. Two different contractors have different ideas as to how the cables should be run through the joists:
(i) would notch out a small grove in the joists and fit the cable in this, so the cable would be sitting on top of the plaster ceiling.
(ii) would drill small holes for the cable to go through the joist, some 25 mm above the height of the ceiling.

Is there a right or wrong way give the above examples?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I assume you don't really mean 80mm holes?
If you think about it, I suggest he does mean 80mm holes. These holes would be made in the ceiling at the joist position so that the hole will span the width of the joist.
If so, its a cr@p way to do it. And I wish him luck fishing the cables from joist to joist.

Two different contractors have different ideas as to how the cables should be run through the joists:
(i) would notch out a small grove in the joists and fit the cable in this, so the cable would be sitting on top of the plaster ceiling.
Joists may not be notched at the bottom.

(ii) would drill small holes for the cable to go through the joist, some 25 mm above the height of the ceiling.
Somehow I doubt your joists are only 50mm deep.

Seriously - neither of those contractors have a clue, and if you go with either of them you will be volunteering to be fleeced by rogue traders. Do not allow either of them to come in and start doing structural damage to your house.

I am looking to have 6 down lights installed in a first floor hall way ceiling. The necessitates drilling 80mm holes where the joists are to facilitate the running of cables. Two different contractors have different ideas as to how the cables should be run through the joists:

Is there a right or wrong way give the above examples?

I think this needs going over again, as I think you and some others have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

(i) I think you have made a mistake here - the notch or groove gets cut into the plaster or plasterboard - not the joist. Perfectly acceptable as there are no safe zones on a ceiling. Common way of doing it when it's difficult to remove the flooring above. Bit rough perhaps, cables could get screwed into later in the future, but there you go.

(ii) Though a tidy way of doing it, very unlikely to comply with the rules on drilling joists. I take it these joists are structural? I only ask in the unlikely event they simply supports for a false ceiling.

Last edited:
I'm hoping you're going to drill 80mm holes (for the downlights) where the joists AREN'T!

You mustn't notch the underside of the joists- so there's one of your contractors binned. Any holes going through the joist should be on the centreline of the joist (ie halfway between ceiling and floor), should be between 0.25 and 0.4 times the span and should be no bigger than an eighth of the joist depth- there's the other one also binned. Unlikely you'll be able to do that without ripping the ceiling down so put a channel in the plasterboard (or lath and plaster) to run your cable in and take pics and measurements of where the channels are (for your own future reference)

I think this needs going over again, as I think you and some others have got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

(i) I think you have made a mistake here - the notch or groove gets cut into the plaster or plasterboard - not the joist. Perfectly acceptable as there are no safe zones on a ceiling. Common way of doing it when it's difficult to remove the flooring above. Bit rough perhaps, cables could get screwed into later in the future, but there you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back