Is this cable safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just removed boxing from downstairs cloakroom ceiling that was covering old heating duct and found hole in ceiling. Looks like they installed the light and then moved it when the house was built. You can see that the outer sheath of the cable has been removed and, having looked under the upstairs floorboards, I can see the cables run under the joist. I need to get the ceiling repaired but the plasterer is not happy going over the cable. I was thinking that I would replace the light fitting and switch with new ones and rewire them so the cables are no longer under the joist. I just wondered how the cables should be run. Should i drill a couple of holes through the joist and run them through or should I cut a notch out the top of the joist just under the floorboards (like the heating pipes). I was thinking that drilling would be best but would appreciate advice from the professionals on whether this is correct. Many thanks.

F14D56E1-8B09-4B12-B8FB-B2964CD7B327.jpeg 0952BFCE-733B-45EC-9D1F-832F3F9601D6.jpeg

Sponsored Links
looks like it the earth wire thats not sheathed, but its hard to tell in the photo attached.

i would advise you do as you say, drill through the joist instead of notch

Sponsored Links
Why, what's up?

If the heating duct has now been removed, it seems fairly likely that the original position for the light may be the correct place for it.

Or maybe not, of course. :D:D

Why, what's up?

If the heating duct has now been removed, it seems fairly likely that the original position for the light may be the correct place for it.

Or maybe not, of course. :D:D
It's bad of me to not have suggested the simple move as that's the sort of thing I'd look at doing.

But then there is always the possibility of another light being fed further up/down stream of this one and there may not be enough slack to move it back.
Think of all possibilities, not just the obvious. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back