Ceiling Access for Lighting in a flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've decided to put some recessed light fittings in the kitchen but I live in a flat so getting access to the ceiling void from above is impossible (even if I did have access to the upstairs flat, the floor is concrete).

Running cables between the 2 joists where the existing light fitting is mounted obviously won't be a problem. I will cut holes for the fittings and feed cables through. I'll use a cable rod if there turns out to be insulation (and suitable fittings).

What I want to know is if there's a way of running cables through joists without taking the whole ceiling down!! I obviously don't want to cut massive holes in the ceiling just so I can get a drill up there to drill holes in the joists.
Are the any alternatives?
Could I chase out the ceiling just for the width of the joist and run the cable under it? But would this mean I'd have to put the circuit on an RCD as it wouldn't be mounted to a safe depth (50mm according to 17th)?
Dilemma's... any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Are the any alternatives ~~~~~~~~~~~ Dilemma's... any help would be appreciated.

Alternative is to use NON recessed lighting as the illumination from recessed lights is not the best illumination for a kitchen.

As to chasing out a concrete ceiling,
the floor is concrete).
do you really want your neighbours dropping in un-expectedly ?

no.. the floor above is concrete, but the ceiling if often dropped down on battens to provide a void for cabling etc..

poke a screwdriver up behind the existing light, there may not be sufficient clearance to get recessed lights in.. ( it may only be a 2 x 2 for the ceiling to screw to.. )

cables in ceilings do not need RCD protection, only in walls less than 50mm deep or protected by other means..

no.. the floor above is concrete, but the ceiling if often dropped down on battens to provide a void for cabling etc..

poke a screwdriver up behind the existing light, there may not be sufficient clearance to get recessed lights in.. ( it may only be a 2 x 2 for the ceiling to screw to.. )

Thanks for the heads up... it never occurred to me that the space above the ceiling might not be provided by standard joists!
I've checked and you're right, there's only a couple of inches clearance!! Looks like I'll have to use something other than recessed lighting

Sponsored Links
I didn't realise recessed downlights were so hated...

Is there any particular reason for everyone hating them?

they mess with insulation in the loft ( you have to have clearance around them.. )
they offer a limited area of light so you need more to light the same area..
a 60W lightbulb is enough for your average bedroom, but to light the same area with downlights would require maybe 4 x 50W..
if your ceiling is a fire barrier, you have to have special fittings to restore the fire rating..

I knew about the problems with loft insulation but had no idea how inefficient they were. Although I suppose it makes perfect sense considering the smaller area of light they provide.
Oh well... I've no need to worry about it anymore anyway.

I was talking to a snagging guy who'se been on a new housing estate for nearly 2 years, from what he says it sounds like he has a full time job filling the holes in ceilings where they have so much hassle with them.

and the residents dont like them either.

and the residents dont like them either.
Well they shouldnt have fitted them as standard then should they? Besides, new houses are built down to a price, they probably sourced everything from China.

If you own a flat, you should check the wording of your Lease Paperwork, it may say that you only own the flat up to the plasterwork on the ceiling and walls, so it may not be wise to start recessing things into the ceiling, well not until you have sought permission from your neighbours above! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back