Chasing cable into ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to move a ceiling rose in a flat without access from upstairs floor. I'm only moving it about 60cm and half of that distance will be covered by a new coving.

So I was wondering if it is acceptable practise to simply turn the existing ceiling rose into a junction box, stick it above the ceiling and chase in a cable running from the junction box to a new flush fitting ceiling rose? The alternative of cutting access holes etc. to run it above the ceiling and through joists seems rather involved.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
akirkeby

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

So I was wondering if it is acceptable practise to simply turn the existing ceiling rose into a junction box, stick it above the ceiling and chase in a cable running from the junction box to a new flush fitting ceiling rose?

Its not acceptable practise. Any junction with screwed terminals must be acessible and it would not be hidden in the ceiling. What if a fault develops, how could you fix it? Who would know, in 20 years time when one of the screws gets loose (they do over time) , that you buried it there?

How many cables go into the existing rose?

Is you ceiling plasterboard? If so, remove a strip of it just wide enough to get your drill in. Start and end over joists and span all the joists you need to drill. I suppose you've already worked out that you'll need to drill some. ;) ;) ;)

The aim is to get the plasterboard strip out in one piece so that you can fix it back in afterwards. Then you fill the saw cut and repaint. Job done. :D :D :D

Warning: :!: :!: :!: Don't use a power jigsaw. You have cables up there and you'll be through one before you know it. :mad: :mad: :mad: Go carefully with a padsaw. :cool: :cool: :cool:

On the contrary, use a jigsaw with broken blade that can ONLY drill to the depth of the plasterboard less a millimetre or so. Why? Well it is not uncommon for cables to be resting on the plasterboard you are cutting.

I would strongly suggest instead getting eyeball (endoscope, USB camera, USB pencil camera) of the ceiling void re cables/pipes.

A better tool than the jigsaw is the Fein Multimaster and marking depth on it accordingly (use the half-round blade). An alternative is the Bosch version whose part number I forget. Fein is 100-150ukp depending on parts, the Bosch is about 60ukp or even less on Ebay. Very useful tools for plunge cutting floorboards or plasterboard (leaves a tiny thin cut line and more controllable than a jigsaw). No more destroying floorboards, very precise tool - also good for flush cutting for laminate flooring etc.

Assume cables are in the way, which will not be dead if belonging to the flat upstairs, so fibreglass stepladders as well.

Sponsored Links
if your unsure if cables are there,then cut with that blunt padsaw you been keeping as a spare and not the new shark saw,go slowly with circuits de-energised ;)

And in answer to the junction box question - you will need to extend each of the cables to the new position using crimps and heat sleeving. Search on this forum for some top crimping tips.

I rewired a flat a couple of years ago.

There was no access from above, and this centre light proved a little tricky :LOL:

19062006164-1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back