Bathroom Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a flush mount light fitting for my bathroom and when I came to install it I found that the ceiling rose in the bathroom has loads of wires running into it including two switch cables which I'm gessing are for the ceiling fan and shower switch. With the new light being flush mounted I don't now what to do with the rest of the wire and ceiling rose.

I think I should put then all into a junction box in the ceiling. But I carn't get into the ceiling. Can I just push the ceiling rose through the ceiling and run a cable from that into the new light.

Sponsored Links
i wouldn't try and "push the ceiling rose into the ceiling", but you can do as you suggest, SO long as you change the 2 core flex to a 3 core flex, so you can connect the lights earth

The light doesn't need an earth so is it OK to use 2 core.
Why can't I just use the Ceiling rose isn't it just like using a junction box.

i just re read your post , you cant have a ceiling rose in a bathroom, it means that you have a hanging light which is not alowed in a bathroom.

Sponsored Links
It is a white cone shaped unit with a bulb hanging out. But the unit that this is attached to (which is fixed to the ceiling) looks the same as the internals of a ceiling rose. So what I was going to do was to take the cone shaped unit of, make the hole in the ceiling bigger so that the back plate (or whatever you call it) can fit through. Then screw a ceiling rose unit onto the back plate to cover the cable and run a cable from that (through the hole in the ceiling rose cover) back through the hole in the ceiling and wire up to the new flush light fitting. Is that safe?

If you can work this out your a better man than me!![/b]

2613_l.jpg

You have one of these......or something like it.....

What you want to do is a bit "rough" either terminate the conductors within the new light fitting or use a junction box...(same principle as what you intend to do)....but I have seen ceiling roses used for that purpose...

That's it.

So I can use the unit inside and just but a ceiling rose case on top?

I just don't want to have to disconnect all those wires and then have to put then into a junction box. Looks like to much hard work for very little gain.

Is it safe? :confused:

Burkinshaw said:
Is it safe? :confused:

how would you feel if you found what you are proposing to do in your bathroom, and you hadn't done it?

you really should use a junction box, mark the cables and make a drawing and take your time

I was only making the point that if the ceiling rose could do the job it wasn't worth putting the junction box on. Sorry and all that!

And I have tried to pay someone, when they turn up (if they turn up) it's "I will come back tomorrow and sort it out for you (And what a shock it's another no show). You just can't get any decent tradesmen any more and if you do find one they are booked up for about six months.

No need to apologise........at least you asked.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back