attaching light fixture to ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 53cm cantebury plaster ceiling rose which I will fix to the ceiling using coving adhesive. On top of the ceiling rose I want to mount a pretty flush and light light fixture with 3 stems for lights coming from the centre of the light.

Is it standard practise to mount the light fitting to a ceiling joist above the rose? This would require pretty long screws and might mean lifting the floor in the room upstairs to see if a support is needed for the light fitting. Or could I mount the fitting to the ceiling rose in any way??

Sponsored Links
the ceiling rose or the hook/mounting plate for the lamp should be attached to a block of wood or the joist. You will quite likely have to lift the floor above to see what you are doing (unless there is already a block that you can see and screw into)

Otherwise you will be expecting the plaster to carry the weight of a heavy lamp. Which it will not do.

JohnD said:
the ceiling rose or the hook/mounting plate for the lamp should be attached to a block of wood or the joist. You will quite likely have to lift the floor above to see what you are doing (unless there is already a block that you can see and screw into)

Otherwise you will be expecting the plaster to carry the weight of a heavy lamp. Which it will not do.

That's what I originally thought John. I just wondered if there was an easier way that wouldn't involve lifting the floor in the bedroom upstairs as it's a pig of a job as a lot of stuff will have to be moved out of the room. :mad:

take off the old light fitting. Look through the holes, and poke with a non-conductive implement to see if there is already a block there.

Sponsored Links
A pendent is quite likely to be adjacent to a joist, or have a noggin.

I expect this plaster rose is a fair diameter, so make a hole in the ceiling to see what you are doing first!

Most people stick these up with adhesive, but also use two screws into a joist to hold weight while it dries - These screws can be recessed slightly and filled/painted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back