Bathroom Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, new to this site and also not a n electrician by trade. Just looking for some advise and information.

I'm looking to change the light in my bathroom to one of those new all enclosed type of ones for use near a shower/bath tub and wash basin.

The light which I have bought has a connecting block inside it but as I'm not an electrician and as I'm not 100% on which cable to connect to which, I was thinking of just using a ceiling rose and then using the Live and Nuetral which come out of it to connect directly to the light's connections?

The problem with this however would be where to put the ceiling rose as the light itself sits flush against the ceiling.

Would it be safe to leave the ceiling rose enclosure in the loft and dangle the wires through a hole into the bathroom. Connect the light and then push the excess cable into the loft and then secure the light to the ceiling making sure no screws touch the ceiling rose sitting above it?

Just want to make sure there's no fire hazard in doing this as There is obviously loft insulation up there and the ceiling rose would be sitting right above it.

Thanks for helping.

Sponsored Links
I've got a rough diagram of what te set up would look like but don't know how to upload it to the site?

I was thinking of just using a ceiling rose and then using the Live and Nuetral which come out of it to connect directly to the light's connections?
If you know how to wire up a ceiling rose surely you can wire up the new light?
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

Never wired a light using a connecting block before, I guess using a rose is clearer for me, not too confident connecting the lights up with a connecting block though.

Any ideas on the rose sitting in the loft?

Sponsored Links
Yes - don't do it. If you can manage the 4-way connections in a ceiling rose you can manage the connector block in a light. Is it a 4-way, or will you have to add one?

Yes - don't do it. If you can manage the 4-way connections in a ceiling rose you can manage the connector block in a light. Is it a 4-way, or will you have to add one?

Okay, will I have to add one ? Sorry, not familiar with all the terminology.

If it is easier for you, then use a ceiling rose in the loft. Many commercial installations are done using hidden plug-in ceiling roses for ease of maintenance.

Use a longer piece of flex from the rose to the new light. Fix the rose to a joist.

Dont forget, normal roses dont supply an earth to the fitting. You NEED to run an earth to the new light so WILL need to replace the standard flex included with the ceiling rose.

If it is easier for you, then use a ceiling rose in the loft. Many commercial installations are done using hidden plug-in ceiling roses for ease of maintenance.

Use a longer piece of flex from the rose to the new light. Fix the rose to a joist.

Dont forget, normal roses dont supply an earth to the fitting. You NEED to run an earth to the new light so WILL need to replace the standard flex included with the ceiling rose.

Thanks for that, brilliant idea, never even thought of it !!!! Earth wire has been sleeved and run already - thanks again mate !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back