tips on glazing a greenhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting up a B&Q aluminium + glass greenhouse, have got to the glazing stage and am finding it a bit intimidating. I've figured how the spring clips go in the frame but they're pretty tight and i'm kinda scared to exert too much force on the glass in case it shatters. I titted around for 15 mins and then chickened out, hoping there might be some how-to videos on youtube, no luck. I'm going to get a suction pad thingie to make handling the glass easier... any tips on actual technique when it comes to slotting a pane in behind the clips? ta

Sponsored Links
The usul technique is to place the panes first, then apply the 'w' shaped glazing clips....am I missing something?
John :)

I find the w shaped clips are easier to insert by inserting one end first, then the middle, then finally the other end.
Obviously the bottom or the middle of the clip goes on the glass.

Don't forget the "z" clips to join glass panes together.

Panes first, clips second... I have no idea, which is why I'm asking! The instructions go something like "Glaze the greenhouse, start with roof, then work up from bottom". So if you've never faced it before it could be slightly puzzling.

As for z clips... I was kinda wondering if they were for the roof only, as they have the effect of offsetting the adjoining panels slightly. So, er... z clips on all of them then? Looks like there's exactly enough in a packet to join all panes.

daft Q's I know but I've never done a greenhouse before!

Sponsored Links
The 'Z' clips are used to hold panes of glass together, on the roof and vertical runs. The upper sheet of glass lies to the outside of the one below it, to shed the water. Its gravity that holds these panes in place. Without the z clips, the panes will simply slide down the aluminium frame.
The glass is placed insitu, resting on the rubber gasket. Then, its on with the 'W' clips to hold the glass into the frame. Mr Herring explains this well.
When the greenhouse is erected, its essential that the base frame is square. Although the side panes will fit fine, the roof glass will be a real headache if it isn't!
John :)

thanks for the replies, the make sense, it'll have to wait til the weekend.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back