Title Plans - am I being stupid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an issue with the retaining wall that retains my neighbours land. It's cracking.

I had a look at my title deed, which states

(a) The walls and/or fences indicated on the said plan by an internalletter "T" are included in the Conveyance hereby made and shall belongto the Purchaser
(b) The ownership and liability for the repair and maintenance of thewall and/or fence or hedge on the boundary of the land hereby conveyedand which formerly constituted part of the perimeter of the landcomprised in the said Conveyance of the Tenth day of May One thousandnine hundred and fifty seven shall pass to the Purchaser in so far onlyas such ownership and liability belonged to the Company and
(c) The remainder of the boundary walls and/or fences (except those(if any) indicated by an external letter "T" on the said plan whichshall belong to the adjoining owner) shall be deemed to be party wallsand/or fences and shall be used and repaired accordingly."

NOTE: The Western boundary is affected by an inward T mark but no outward T marks were shewn on the plan supplied on first registration.

The retaining wall is EAST wall, so it wouldn't be a problem...but the Title Plan mixed up the directions - WEST is marked where EAST should be.

Am I being daft and the Directions on Title Plans are meant to be swapped? The arrow points towards North. I am pretty sure this is not right, but I just want to check...

My other neighbours title plan (who also shares retaining wall with the neighbour in question) has wrong directions too, but his title deeds says "NOTE: An internal "T" mark affects the part of the western boundary that abuts on the roadway." The roadway is west to this property.

Sponsored Links
Screenshot 2023-11-20 095500.png

The arrow points toward North. Yes, the title plan shows W on the right, which it should be East. Right? Or am I being an IDIOT?

If North is at 12:00, then West is at 9:00. East is at 3:00 and South at 6:00.

Sponsored Links
Well, exactly, so I am pretty sure the map is wrong. But I thought, maybe, there is some odd rule in British planning where they just swap directions around haha :p

Is (b) referring to the retaining wall?

Do you have any of the original title deeds or can you get them from land registry?

Could west be correct i.e. west of the adjoining - presumably original - property from which you land was disposed?

Blup

I only have the copies available on the Registry website. Is there a way to obtain original title deeds?

I don't know what B is referring, too. I assume it refers to any wall with "inward T", otherwise it is a party wall.

All it says is this "The Western boundary is affected by an inward T mark but no outward T marks were shewn on the plan supplied on first registration." I assume this is my property's western boundary.

Fair enough the inward T is referring to the eastern boundary, so there must be a mistake in describimg as the western boundary. But it suggests yiu are responsible for the wall, which doesn't seem fair, especially of your property was sold off as a sub plot of the main property.

Land registry returned the original title deeds when my house was first registered, via the bank when the mortgage was paid off, but im pretty sure you have the right to see the title deeds of other properties where it affects your rights and obligations. So worth doing a land registry search for the registered title of the adjoining property, following up with a request for copy of the original title deeds.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Back