TN-S?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I have not yet done anything that requires me to know my supply type, It would be good to know for the future... I had always thought it to be TN-CS because the earth connection is made on the supply head rather than the protective sheathing of the supply cable. However, the supply cable has three wires within the sheathing... Live (red), Neutral (black) and Earth (uninsulated but not part of sheathing)... So it is TN-S afterall right?

This cable comes from a metal box outside the property to which my neigbour's house is also connected (I assume this box is like a 'service junction box' of some sort, I believe it has three phase coming into it because power cuts have frequently occured where I am affected and my neigbours are not/vice versa).

The earth supply at one point must have been TT... there is a rather antiquated earth rod in the back yard... The supply we now have was installed in 1983.

I know I'm probably being stupid here, but it's just not how they picture it in the diagrams...

Sponsored Links
it sounds like it could well be tn-s

but on domestic size service cables it doesn't make any difference to the requirements for main equipotential bonding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back