To double glaze porch or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I currently have a 3m x 2m ( approx) porch at the rear of my house. It is the main entry / exit of the house. It is fully singled glazed and the windows are about 25 to 30 years old and in reasonable condition, but needing a paint. I do not heat the porch. Once through the porch you then enter the kitchen. The only window in the kitchen is an older wooden framed double glazed unit which looks into the porch. The top opening part of this window does not fit well. The rest of the house has upvc doubled glazed windows which are in good condition.

I would like to know if it would be worthwhile replacing the porch windows to double glazed units to try and help the cold draughts that come into the kitchen. At the same time I would replace the wooden porch door as it has a couple of splits in it which let in a little water if the wind is right. I would prefer the look of timber framed windows but price will probably decide.

I know that as I don't heat the porch directly apart from what heat gets there when the kitchen door is open, that financially it won't add up. Priority here, however is to help the temperature in the rest of the house. If the porch was to be a bit less cold in the winter then that would help.

Perhaps I should just replace the kitchen window and door to something that fits better.

Dave

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back