To feather-edge....or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I'm after opinions on the use of a feather-edge.

I was taught to polish my plaster using by three passes (but no more) with the trowel and plenty of water.

A colleague at work was taught to use a feather-edge.

Is a feather-edge an essential bit of kit?

All views welcome!

Sponsored Links
I thought is mainly used for flattening off and straightening Render coats? Not sure about polishing, I'm only going by experiences from watching some folks do it at college mind... I suppose it could be used for polishing wouldn't say essential really though.

I would finish/polish plaster the way you said, a clean trowel and a water brush... A feather edge is a handy piece of kit, but you could get by without one.... It would be used after straightening a floated or rendered wall with a straight edge. To use a feather edge, you would lightly flick a "little"water with your brush onto the wall as you go, to lubricate the f/edge, to help it close up any surface blemishes, or to fill in any small hollows with the cream..Use it at an angle, with the feather side "nearly" flat onto the plaster/render,and pass it gently across the surface to close up and smooth over a wall ready for the float.... You wouldn't use it to polish/trowel up a finished wall. ...You would not use a feather edge at all in skim coating.... A darby is a good piece of kit to have,,, again,,, when using thicker float coats/render ..... Maybe your friend was just taught to use a feather edge, and that's what he meant.

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Maybe your friend was just taught to use a feather edge, and that's what he meant.
I suspect you are right and I had got the wrong edge of the stick (or feather-edge! :) )
Thanks for the info guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back