I blame my tools

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
so I must be a bad workman.

Although I'm no great plasterer, i have in the past got quite good results on chases, socket boxes and repairs.

this week I have had to do some, and the results are worse than i am used to :oops:

I used a white Patching plaster, which is slow to set (handy for doing a number of small patches) but seems to me to be "sticky" on the trowel.

I used to use Sirapite, and found it easy to press smooth to a feather edge and, after initial set, spray with water and polish. I can't seem to do that now and fear I will have to scrape it down :(

I am also using a shiny new trowel as I mislaid my old, worn, one.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
that's true

but I didn't notice any "setting to fast" problem.

what other effect would heat have?

It was 25C+ when I was working. I sprayed the wall first.

Drying out too quick, becoming unworkable too quickly?

Sponsored Links
it didn't feel like it was going off though :(

I think I will scrape it back below the surface and skim it with finish plaster.

Has Sirapite been discontinued? they don't seem to sell it round here. presumably other finish plasers will be much the same.

Thistle Board Finish is what you need. Don't forget to PVA the dry plaster first though.

For small patches and holes I rate ordinary polyfiller. Just don't try to do it all in one go, and apply carefully to leave it slightly proud. When properly dry it sands really well and leaves a great finish.

I guess the stuff they use for taper boards is pretty much the same.

I recently replaced a plasterboard ceiling and had to hack away at the top of the wall plasterboard to "slot" it in. There was also the corner scrim sticking down.
After plastering the ceiling (immaculate - my best ever, if a little small, and of course a bit slow), I used several layers of polyfiller to feather it in to the walls all the way round the room - probably 5mm thick at the top down to zero over about 100mm. If you know what I mean.
Theres no way I could have plastered it and got such a good finish with the varying thickness and different substrates in the area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back