Streaked Finish On New Plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

After a few practice runs (with seemingly good results) of plastering unimportant areas of the house I am having renovated, I decided to plaster the walls in the living room. I'm a little concerned because, even though the finish is smooth and flat, there appear to be a number of wavey / streaked lines running along the surface of the walls.

I was wondering what might have casued this, and whether they are a sign of any problems with the integrity of the plaster? Also, it this likely to affect the finish of any paint or wallpaper put on top if the plaster?

I did spray water onto the trowel with polishing, but I'm sure I didn't use too much... I'm concerned that the streaks may be fat. If they are, can sanding the walls down prevent any problems that fat my cause?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance for any advice given.

Sponsored Links
Fat is a myth. Plaster is made in a furnace so would burn up.

The streaks may be the result of a dirty trowel. It has to be very clean for polishing.

"Fat" refers to excess removed during a certain point at the time of polishing the plaster, and has nothing to do with any animal or related fats.

The streak marks could have been caused by several things, such as residue staininc coming off the subcoat, or even rust from the bucket. Wouldn't worry about it just now, see what happens when you mistcoat the walls,

Yes I know what 'fat' means but most don't.

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's not graining. When you constantly apply the muck in a vertical fashion, never working the surface horizontally, then a grain can appear in the plaster.

I used to get this and it was because I didn't do a final dry trowel properly after the wet trowel. I pay more attention to the final dry trowel now and getting really good results.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back