New plaster finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a room completely re-plastered. Walls have a smooth polished finish, but the surface of the plaster on the ceiling is much coarser. I suspect it hasn't been "polished" like the walls. Is this normal practice for finishing a ceiling? Should I be concerned?

Finish is not as good as the walls but consistent & true, so I guess it was just easier on the arms not to polish off!

Thanks for all the feedback.

Sponsored Links
I'm no plasterer but I'm fairly sure when I was researching plastering an article noted that while the smooth polished finish looks impressive it does not give paint as good a key and needs to be sanded first, maybe this has something to do with it? I'd of thought he would do it all the same though. No doubt one of the experts will be along to provide clarity soon...

I would be concerned as all aspects of plastering should be polished off and smooth whether it be walls or ceilings. Nothing bad will happen it just means whoever done it hasnt done it properly.

I'm no plasterer but I'm fairly sure when I was researching plastering an article noted that while the smooth polished finish looks impressive it does not give paint as good a key and needs to be sanded first, maybe this has something to do with it? I'd of thought he would do it all the same though.
That’s quiet correct, plaster should be flat & smooth but not over polished or it can be nightmare getting the paint to stick or cover; spreads have been know to do it deliberately if you’ve peed them off. It may be wise to give the walls a light sanding (but don't overdo it) before misting; ordinary matt white thinned 25-30% 2/3 coats in quick succession to help adhesion, leave to dry overnight sand/fill/prime any imperfections (but if your spread was any good there shouldn’t be any) once dry add your chosen paint finish.

Ceilings are much harder than walls & if it looks rough then either he hasn’t done a very good job or may have run out of time. Again it should not be over polished but should be flat & perfectly smooth; finish same as the walls. New plaster skim should be left 7-10 days before painting.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back