Best/Recommended Skimming plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, First time poster on here but looks a good forum. I'm currently practicing and learning to plaster on a wall in the spare room. They're old walls that used to have wallpaper on that I've now stripped. Just wondering what plasters people would recommend as best for such a job or does it make any difference. Practicing with wickes finishing coat at the moment. Any advice would be great, cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes dont use Wickes finishing coat :LOL: ,i would use multifinish after first sealing the wall with pva and then the next day repaint with pva and then when tacky apply the plaster

Thanks Wozza, very much learning by my mistakes and the moment, and there's plenty of them, that's great advice about the Pva and I'll pick up some multifinish tonight.

Hi, First time poster on here but looks a good forum. I'm currently practicing and learning to plaster on a wall in the spare room.... Just wondering what plasters people would recommend as best for such a job or does it make any difference. Practicing with wickes finishing coat at the moment. Any advice would be great, cheers

Would go with multi-finish (British Gypsum)

I used the Wickes multi-finish stuff 2 weeks ago.
(My folks' place had a leak in the loft and water damage. Whilst up there to investigate, he slipped and came through the ceiling. Fortunately he didn't slide all the way through and caught himself on the joists :eek:
He said his belly helped slow him down and gave time! :) )
Anyway, I said I'd help and asked him to get some Multi-finish from Wickes (I already had some p/board).
He didn't know and picked up the 10kg bag of Wickes multi-finish. My fault for not being more specific. (10kg Wickes approx same price as 25kg b/g also)

Didn't like the stuff. Took ages to go off. :mad:
Slightly grey in colour and I found where I'd PVAed over surrounding boards, it went off a bit quicker - but over the p/board patch, wouldn't go off at the same time. Made polishing really tricky!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replys, I got Thistle MultiFinish which hopefully is as good as British Gypsum so I'll be revving up the trowel tonight for another bout of wall ruining ;)

It's multi finish for walls of block and brick, that have base coat of browning, bonding, hardwall etc....
I do aslo use it n plasteredboards, but plasterboard finish is designed for that.
There's a link here, that will give the spec on the product available and their usage, I'd also download the white book, is not the best bedtime read but some good info in it.

http://www.british-gypsum.com/products.aspx

http://www.british-gypsum.com/literature/white_book.aspx

Good luck with your plastering.

Ah, wasnt til I clicked on your link I realised Thistle IS British Gypsum so I have the right stuff, doh. Cheers for the links, the walls have old plaster basecoat on them that had been wallpapered over and, as you can imagine over many years the bumps and scrapes built up so I don't think I need another base coat. I got some unibond to seal and prepare the walls and will do a test wall with Multifinish tonight.

Yep, the walls paper is all stripped and I washed down the walls to get all the glue and gunk off so I should be fit to go really. The post by Wozza mentions putting two coats of PVA on (1 coat left set for a day), do you think thats necessary, the walls aren't in too bad condition underneath.

Depends on the suction, if the walls were originally skimmed and that is in good nick, just prime with PVA and allow to go tacky, before applying the finish coats.

Cheers PrenticeBoy, They haven't been already skimmed, there's no paint or anything so obviously just a base coat to put the wallpaper over whenever it was done. I'll do the two coats for safety sake so, cheers for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back