To glue batons to concrete subfloor or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I’m about to lay a real wood floor. It’s going down onto a concrete floor that was put down about 6 months ago.
From the off I decided to install this floor onto 2” batons and secret nail (BTW I’ve installed the same solid wood floor before onto floorboards with great success).

I’ll be using hammer in screw fixings to install the batons onto the concrete, but I’m unsure whether I need to use glue as well – especially near the edge of the concrete.

So, question is what glue to use – Something like a “no more nails”, or perhaps a polyurethane glue that cures with moisture.
Or, am I being a little paranoid, and with the hammer fixings and the weight of the flooring, the glue would be OTT.

Cheers,

Steve

Sponsored Links
are you sure you need battens? What are they for? You could lay it floating. You can use insulating foam slabs under to cut heat loss if you need to make up the height (but a new, modern floor is presumably already insulated).

Sponsored Links
on my 3rd battoned floor now, tried solvent glue, nice if you like the smell of it ;) but I got better and results with stix all and also pva.
tip with the pva, pour it on liberally where the battons go down so that it sits in a puddle of it - paint it on and it will come off.
no more nails didnt grip the concrete, even with priming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back