To Hardboard or Not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I am currently doing up my daughters room.

I am wondering about putting down a thin layer of hardboard before the carpet.
The bedroom, is partly over the guinnel, and think it would add an extra layer of insulation.
Is this worth it, or just get better insulation?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you could put down an underlay before you carpet, but as CD says, hardboard won't help with insulation.

Plan was, if you guys thought it was worth it, was hardboard over old floor boards.
Then underlay and then carpet it.
Though doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

Sponsored Links
A 4mm Ply or Hardboard over the floorboards will always provide a superior finish for the carpet and underlay but won't have a noticeable insulating effect, decision is yours from there .

Most heat loss from floors is by draughts. If you can take up the old floorboards, you can pack mineral wool, as used in lofts, between the joists, which will block them. It is worst round the edges of the room as cold air blows up the gap round the skirting.

If you do take (at least some of) the floor up, hoover it out and seal any visible gaps with expanding foam.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back