To insulate or not to insulate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, been trying to get a definitive answer on this. First off I am not a DIY'er but a first time buyer of a Victorian mid terrace (2 up 2 down) with a north facing living room (brick wall, no cavity).

I'm anxious about the combination of a cold north facing living room and hideous fuel prices come October. Someone I know (a competent DIY'er who owns and maintains a few terraces he rents out) suggested internal insulation using thermal boards for the inside of this external wall using dot and dab.

The concept sounds great but I'm worried about developing damp/mould - how is this avoided please? My guy is convinced it wont be an issue. Any recommendations for thermal boards? Dot and dab or battens? The builder who did my kitchen isn't keen and doesn't think it's worth it and suggested a thick curtain over the front door and window and thermal wall/lining paper instead.....thoughts on this?

On said wall there is a window (double glazed) and a front (composite) door that leads into the living room - not sure if this info sways opinion. The wall is 3.87 m. I've attached a pic - ignore the paint swatches!
Living Room.jpg

Sponsored Links
Definitive answers on stuff like this does not really exist. There will be a thousand different opinions on ways to tackle the issue.

Your diy mate probably has suggested the most affordable and straight forward long term solution for the walls(dot and dab simpler than battening) but you also have to factor in replastering, coving and redecorating. However your floor may not have an insulation either so that might want to give that attention also.

Anyways - I’d sooner through my £1500-£2000 at a nice wood burning stove for the lounge to make the room cosy in the colder evenings than insulation. .

Thanks, when I go into the cellar I can see some insulation under the floorboards poking through so I'm guessing that's covered. My friend is doing all the labour for free (they're an avid DIY'er) so I'm just paying for materials. I'd love a wood burning stove but I'm on a limited budget at the moment.

Hi Zoe,

Congratulations on your first house.

While the insulated plasterboard will certainly help, it would be quite difficult practically to do. You will have to move/adjust the radiator and also your nice skirting, coving and picture rail would be lost - or need to be replaced, which will be difficult for the coving. All to accommodate the new depth of wall.

I can’t tell how big the room is, but that radiator looks undersized. Also check to see if it has foil behind it. Additionally having the radiator in front of the window is not the most efficient thing…but sometimes is the most practical for the layout.

Personally I would increase the size of the radiator, and check the door and window fit well so that they close properly and seal without gaps. Next step would be a thick curtain across the door and the window (ensuring the curtain goes behind the radiator to keep the heat in), lastly it would be the insulated PB.

Perhaps give it one winter first to see how good or bad it is first, because the Pb and all the necessary room changes will be expensive.

Hope that helps
Andy

Sponsored Links
with the door and window taking up nearly a third of the wall I can't see the insulation making much difference. Any draughts round the door, esp the letterbox would be first to sort out. it is a small room to start off with, a couple of inches off the wall will be noticeable. How well is you loft insulated?

As pointed out it would be complex wall to do, would you keep the cornice for instance... - this would be a big job to get right and look good with minimal savings at the end of the day.

how would you deal with the side bits around the window, these cold spots would become a magnet for condensation.

the real solution is getting together with your neighbours and going for external cladding - even then, that could be a 10 year pay back or more.

A terraced house does not have much exposed wall area so this is not your first problem .

Your cottage design will have cold draughts into the living room from the door. Look at a door curtain with portiere rod. Get a lined curtain for the window as well as a roller blind

With that old fashioned radiator position you will need a radiator shelf for the curtain to sit on to prevent the heat going outside.

Guessing is not a good way to find out what insulation you have.

Maximise the loft insulation.

Are radiators no longer positioned below windows in new build?

Hi Zoe,

Congratulations on your first house.

While the insulated plasterboard will certainly help, it would be quite difficult practically to do. You will have to move/adjust the radiator and also your nice skirting, coving and picture rail would be lost - or need to be replaced, which will be difficult for the coving. All to accommodate the new depth of wall.

I can’t tell how big the room is, but that radiator looks undersized. Also check to see if it has foil behind it. Additionally having the radiator in front of the window is not the most efficient thing…but sometimes is the most practical for the layout.

Personally I would increase the size of the radiator, and check the door and window fit well so that they close properly and seal without gaps. Next step would be a thick curtain across the door and the window (ensuring the curtain goes behind the radiator to keep the heat in), lastly it would be the insulated PB.

Perhaps give it one winter first to see how good or bad it is first, because the Pb and all the necessary room changes will be expensive.

Hope that helps
Andy
I've checked the BTU for a room my size (4681) and checked an equivalent radiator (same size, double panel etc) on B&Q's website and it should give a BTU of 6007 so in theory it *should* be enough?

Are radiators no longer positioned below windows in new build?
I've just moved from a new build (2016) and all the radiators were under the windows - I did think this was the best place for them especially in older homes where there's less insulation. Am I mistaken?

Thanks for all the info, my joiner has suggested considering a thick curtain across the door and window as well as thermal wallpaper - any thoughts on Wallrock KV600 Thermal Liner?

Also is secondary glazing film worth trying?

A thick curtain is a cheap and effective means of insulation, the film less so if the windows are already double glazed.

Is there a wood burner which can be used?

Blup

All good ideas have been presented but i'd mention that Victorian houses are meant to 'breathe' so try not to plug all the gaps on the outside as it can lead to condensation and build-up of mould.
Blup mentioned a wood burner which have been shown to increase carbon output, so if you're environmentally aware they may not be the best long-term idea.
Maybe wait for winter and deal with any problems you notice, get thick curtains for the doors and windows, then look for an energy deal to suit you: Martin Lewis has an excellent moneysaving.com website where you can find all the info you need.

Thanks for all the info, my joiner has suggested considering a thick curtain across the door and window as well as thermal wallpaper - any thoughts on Wallrock KV600 Thermal Liner?

Also is secondary glazing film worth trying?

the film is very cheap. It's the pocket of air that does the insulating, and it will hold the air better than a curtain. But get a curetain or blind as well.

thermal wallpaper....

about 4mm thick. Not woth spending time and money on.

Cavity wall insulation is about 15 times as thick. loft insulation is about 60 times as thick.

A thick curtain is a cheap and effective means of insulation, the film less so if the windows are already double glazed.

Is there a wood burner which can be used?

Blup
Unfortunately not, my budget was quite limited, maybe this is something to think about though.

the film is very cheap. It's the pocket of air that does the insulating, and it will hold the air better than a curtain. But get a curetain or blind as well.

thermal wallpaper....

about 4mm thick. Not woth spending time and money on.

Cavity wall insulation is about 15 times as thick. loft insulation is about 60 times as thick.
Ok, it sounds worth a try with the window film - what about installing solid panel shutters instead of curtains?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back