Plaster board types

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm having a room downstairs dot and dabbed...one of the internal walls is the gable end wall as it's a end terraced house. I have taken off all the old plaster back to brick..what board would you recommend that gives thermal insulating properties? For that side of the wall. I've been advised to put pink coloured plaster board on all the other walls as it's much thicker and stronger and resistant to knocks ...any advice would be appreciated..ta

Sponsored Links
The more common boards - grey (standard), pink (fire rated), lilac (sound bloc) and blue/green (moisture resistant) generally come in 12.5 and 15mm thicknesses (depending on manufacturer) as well as other thicknesses. Personally I'd consider something like Gyproc Thermaline (plasterboard with insulation bonded at the back) if simple installation and thermal efficiency is required, mounted onto Gypliner metal studding. Can be installed really quickly, but AFAIK Thermaline can't be dot and dabbed (although it may well work with the board fixing foam now available). Even installing 12.5mm grey board onto Gypliner or resillient bars adds to thermal efficiency (due to the layer of trapped air between the wall and the board)

thanks...gyproc thermaline sounds good, gonna have have a word with the plasterer to see if i can get this installed on the gable end side wall, the rest im gonna ask for the pink plasterboard rather then the common grey boards which i have already got for the ceiling.

I've been advised to put pink coloured plaster board on all the other walls as it's much thicker and stronger and resistant to knocks

It’s normally the same thickness, 12.5mm.
I believe it does have a stronger core, reinforced with maybe glass fibres?, to give it the fireproof properties. But whether that is evident as being more resistent to knocks is another matter (anyone else know?).

You can get PB that is more resistent to impact damage. Search for “Gyproc Habito” and “Gyproc Duraline”. I don’t know how easily available they are.

Sponsored Links
I believe it does have a stronger core, reinforced with maybe glass fibres?, to give it the fireproof properties. But whether that is evident as being more resistent to knocks is another matter (anyone else know?).
Well, it is certainly harder to break after you've slit the paper.

You can get PB that is more resistent to impact damage. Search for “Gyproc Habito” and “Gyproc Duraline”. I don’t know how easily available they are.
If you are in London or the S/E, Condell's are reasonable on Habito and Duraline - unlike Travis. Duraline we use in high traffic areas on commercial jobs - so long as the client is willing to pay the difference - because it is the best for impact resistance out of the two

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back