Bathroom back to brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi first post on here I've taken the bathroom back to Brick to retile around bath and splash back and plaster the rest. What are my options for replastering. I have one stud wall to re board and three brick walls. Am I better off dot and dab boarding it then plaster or can the plaster just go straight onto the brick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 260
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 400
Sponsored Links
I'd definitely dot and dab board it and then plaster straight onto the board then that way you will end up with a better more level finish!

I did this last year and re-plastered the brickwork. We left it as a scratch coat where we were going to tile and it provided a nice key for the tile adhesive to grab to.

It also means if/when we slip or fall out of the bath or on a wet floor there is no chance we'll dent the wall! I know that's very unlikely but could happen with plasterboard and the walls feel more solid. Another deciding factor for me was that plasterboard doesn't last too well when wet!

I'm happy with the result.

The stud wall will need to be re boarded, when you have done that if it is in the area of the shower then I would use a tanking kit to make it totally waterproof
As for ease of installation and speed then dotn dab would be far quicker you can board it all one day and start to tile the next
If you are a decent plasterer then Bonding or Hardwall is an option to plumb the brickwall and 2 coats of skim for finish
The first choice is quicker and easier and requires very little skill ,the second you will need decent plasterer

Sponsored Links
Andy you want to buy yourself a decent mat or non slip tiles one can not afford to be falling out of the bath ,forget about denting walls ,the damage you do to yourself will be far worse! !!

Andy you want to buy yourself a decent mat or non slip tiles one can not afford to be falling out of the bath ,forget about denting walls ,the damage you do to yourself will be far worse! !!

Ha yes I know... funnily enough we have got a non-slip mat :)

...I should also have mentioned that we were very restricted on space - adding plasterboard would have resulted in the bath not fitting!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back