To nog or not to nog...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just plasterboarded a ceiling using 12.5mm board. Joist centres at 450mm (ish- it's a Victorian house), cut edge of boards running along the joists.
Based upon various web searches and the British Gypsum site book, I didn't use noggins but there seems to be a fair bit of play at the board edges and I'm concerned about cracking.
The room above is the main bedroom so won't have kids stamping around in it, but before I go further with the room, should I remove every other row of boards and retrospectively fit noggins (or a 2x1 batten) at each joint?

TIA
Mike

Sponsored Links
Hard to figure out how you've done the p/b ceiling - have you landed all p/b's on joists or let the ends fly loose over joist bays. Or have you let the edges go wild somewhere? The boards should go perpendicular ( at right angles) to the joists. Did you use screws?

Any noggins to be in min 50mm x 50mm - or 2" x 4" is best.

Apologies if I didn't put enough info but I'm not sure what bit you can't figure. There are no ends flying loose; boards are laid with long edge perpendicular to joists with ends cut to fall on (under) joists. All screwed, but not yet put them all in until I've got the answer ref noggins.
Question is, does 12.5 mm PB on 450mm joist spacing require noggins? British Gypsum say no, what is other's experience?
TBH the noggin is not there to give significant strength or support the weight of the PB, just to align and stiffen the joint. Wouldn't 2x4" be overkill?

Mike

Just do what the manufacturers tell you to do. They know their product. Stop looking for things that aren't important.

Sponsored Links
If you are using 450mm centres then you must be putting 900mmx 1800mm boards up!! As 1200mmx2400mm boards need 400mm centres,,,

If you are using 450mm centres then you must be putting 900mmx 1800mm boards up!!
You are correct, I have used 1.8x0.9m boards, but does this make any difference? I could also have used 2.4 boards cut short or any combination if I wanted to. But do I need to support the edges???

Just do what the manufacturers tell you to do. They know their product. Stop looking for things that aren't important.

But it is important; it's my house and the manufacturer isn't going to fix it if it does crack. They may know their product but did they consider the vagaries of 100+ year-old buildings? The board is not as firm/stiff as I expected and having googled again for an answer with no real consensus, I thought I'd ask for advice for my specific circumstances.
With respect (and this is a genuine question, not a dig at you), is your answer based on personal experience or just an assumption that manufacturers are always correct?

Mike

It does no harm at all to put in extra noggins. You'll get a far stronger job. "All edges" of plasterboard should be supported. Easier to put in extra noggins now, than regret not doing so in the future. If you're not sure of where to fit them, put them in to suit each sheet of p/board as you go.

Last edited:
"All edges" of plasterboard should be supported.

That's what I read in many places, but it doesn't stack up with the manufacturers advice.
I think I knew I'd be doing it just to stop myself worrying, just wanted confirmation I wasn't completely wasting my time.

Cheers,

Mike

All a ceiling has to do is hang there. It's taking no load whatsoever. I can see where Alice gets it from now.

Whether a ceiling just "hangs there" or not, all edges should be supported, and if someone wants to add extra noggins, that's up to them,,, no harm done at all,,, and if you think about it, a plasterboard ceiling is not just "hanging there", it's "fixed",, with screws,, into joists and noggins,,, gotta be,, aint it? ;)

Last edited:
Didn't he say there were no loose edges? Why waste time doing what doesn't need doing? I'm sure there are other things that are more urgent around his house.

If forum names are an indicator of anything, maybe you'll excuse me if I ignore the advice of an odd looking 50 year old wooden puppet who believes manufacturers are always correct and honest (VW diesel anyone?).
All I was after was some advice based on other's experience. As all you can offer is sarcasm, I have to assume your advice is not based on personal experience.
As well as just hanging there, my ceiling also has to absorb movement from creaking 100 year old joists. If it wasn't for your 30000+ posts, I'd have ignored you earlier, but now I know...

Cheers,

Mike

Last edited:
Joseph,,, MadAlicesDad never mentioned "loose edges", he asked, "do I need to support the edges"? Yes,, came the reply. You might use a bit more timber, and it'll take a little longer, but the "jobs a good un".

..........................................................................................................
The more you argue over the existence of noggins, the more you prove they exist.

Last edited:
If he won't believe the manufacturer he won't believe anyone. Go ahead and put a load of noggins in. It's your life you are wasting.

If he won't believe the manufacturer he won't believe anyone. Go ahead and put a load of noggins in. It's your life you are wasting.
I prefer to believe people who speak from experience and don't just go on what's written in a book without questioning it. Also I'd rather 'waste' 2 hours of my life so that "job's a good un" not just "job's in accordance with manufacturer's claims".

Good bye,

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back