To P or Not to P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If someone installed a small cu into a brick built shed. Fed 8 plug sockets (from a 16A MCB) and two 60W flourescent light fittings (from a 6A MCB), then ran 4mm 3 core SWA from this cu back to the house (15m length, burried 2ft deep), and then, once inside the house, connected it to a 3 pin 13A plug to plug the whole thing into the mains. Would that circumnavigate the need for Part P qualification? It would, after all, just be a gloryfied extention lead, no?

Sponsored Links
TexMex said:
If someone installed a small cu into a brick built shed. Fed 8 plug sockets (from a 16A MCB) and two 60W flourescent light fittings (from a 6A MCB), then ran 4mm 3 core SWA from this cu back to the house (15m length, burried 2ft deep), and then, once inside the house, connected it to a 3 pin 13A plug to plug the whole thing into the mains. Would that circumnavigate the need for Part P qualification? It would, after all, just be a gloryfied extention lead, no?

could you not use a 32A BS4343 instead?

something what came accross me a few days ago: what if you put a 125A BS4343 connector between the meter and CU?

And on the opposite end of the scale, If you cut a hole in your worktop, remove the plug to feed through and then replace it, does that mean your freezer is now part of the fixed wiring and so requires the council to come and inspect it whenever you change it/move house?

Just becomes daft.

TexMex said:

If someone did that then I would laugh at their stupidity. NEVER< NEVER run anything on a 13A plug when it is a PERMANENT installation.

If you go to the bother of running at that in, including the SWA, then you may as well terminate it in the CU in your bloody house.

Part P has been foisted upon us BECAUSE people things such as you propose. As a house holder you may think it is a pain in the neck, as a professional I KNOW it is a pain in the neck..Too little too late.

Sponsored Links
Would 4mm fit in a 13a plug?

Would the 16amp MCB serve any purpose with a 13a fuse before it?

TexMex said:

Suppose the house is sold, and the new owner decides it's cold in the shed, and puts 2 x 3Kw electric fires in there. Plus the lighting and what ever else fills the other 6 sockets left. This is a recipe for disaster.
This sort of stuff justifies the existence of part.P :(

mrgrumpy said:
Suppose the house is sold, and the new owner decides it's cold in the shed, and puts 2 x 3Kw electric fires in there. Plus the lighting and what ever else fills the other 6 sockets left. This is a recipe for disaster.
Not quite a disaster, just a blown fuse in the 13amp plug.
mrgrumpy said:
This sort of stuff justifies the existence of part.P :(
Not quite, Part P is the cause of this sort of stuff. Without the part P BS, I'd be quite happy to put the swa back to the main CU.

Yes, it would make it easy for me to finish the job properly, when I get around to getting part P certification.

TexMex said:
Not quite, Part P is the cause of this sort of stuff. Without the part P BS, I'd be quite happy to put the swa back to the main CU.
Not to be construed as an incitement to break the law, but.... what's stopping you from doing that now?

Yes, it would make it easy for me to finish the job properly, when I get around to getting part P certification.
Au contraire - doing what you propose would be a bl**dy good reason for never giving you Competent Person status.

BAS, Chill, I will actually be doing the job properly. On the other hand, my proposal, crazy as it is, would actually be within the law (possibly?).

BTW. I will be going for my Part P, but it probably won't be until later this year. I'm lucky that I don't often do any electrical work. I'm sure that, as far as my professional services are concerned, I can remain within the law by avoiding it completely, until certified.

wohha tetchy lot, i think he was suggesting it tongue in cheek to prove a point............at least i hope he was!

.[/quote]
Not quite a disaster, just a blown fuse in the 13amp plug.

Not if the owner gets fed-up changing the fuse, and puts in a bit of wire. Seen this done before!

I've heard Part.P will be given a honeymoon period by the authorities, but not officially if you get my drift!

Joe public hasn't even heard of P.P yet!

So my response to you is......do the job correctly now, which is what you want to do by all sounds.

no installation is safe from an idiot with a screwdriver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back