To plaster or not to plaster??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

we had some damp in our bathroom on the paint which also peeled off a bit. I ended up peeling most of the paint off but didn't do anything further! :oops: Then mould started on the plaster.

I am now aiming to rectify all of this, some of the plaster is like powder coming off the wall and other parts are a bit black from the mould.

Do I need to take all the plaster off and start from scratch or can I just patch up the gaps and paint over the mould with anti-mould paint?

I am a complete newbie at all this so really am totally unsure.

I have had a read of various posts and have got all the info to prevent condensation which I believe has caused the damp. Also planning to invest in a better extractor.

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
It's difficult to remove mold from pourous surfaces, so if your plaster is pourous you are best removing the plaster.
You can remove mold from non pourous surfaces usually byscrubbing with a non-ammonia soap or detergent.
Best not to mix ammonia and bleach; the fumes are toxic.
After the mold is removed disinfect the area as the spores can come back.
Wear PPE rubber gloves safety specs to do this.

Then you can plaster patch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back