To Power Flush or Not??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm another person with a boiler which is not making the noises expected of a boiler. I have a Saunier Duval Thermoclassic F30E combi boiler, it has been in the property since about June or July 2003 but has only been used properly since Sept.

The problem I have is when I want HW when the heating is on, the boiler makes a kind of whistling/ screeching noise as it changes over from one to the other, before having a valve replaced it also made this noise all the time it was providing HW.

I have been told now to get the system power flushed, but also been told this may not fix the problem!! Bearing in mind the cost of this is there anything else someone could recommend?

Sponsored Links
Powerflushing is normally for systems which have muck in them - i.e. corrosion products sitting in the bottom of the radiators, making them cold.
If you have a new system (inc new pipes & radiators ??), you wouldn't expect to have much sludge in there.
Some unscrupulous engineers are prone to suggesting this, and charging a great deal for it whilst not promising anything. Have they taken it apart to check all is well ?
Given the potential cost, I would get someone else around to look.

So would I.

You could try reducing the pump speed, though you will not get the hot water performance you have now.

The person I had come out was from Saunier Duval as the boiler is still under warranty so far I have paid out nothing.

I have spoken to another engineer to day who is going to look at boiler and also quote for the flush if that's what he thinks is needed.

I have also been told that I could use Furnox Central Heating Restorer and this is something I could do myself? Then once that has been in the system for 2-3 weeks to drain the whole thing and then fill back up with some Furnox Corrosion stuff.

Is this something easy to do?

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Just do what it says on the tin (or bottle).

That Fernox "SuperConcentrated Restorer" stuff can be added via the radiators using a mastic gun, and its not too difficult to do. I have some sloshing around at the moment, and it made the very slightly unpleasant noises in my boiler go away. Will be rinsing it out this weekend and replacing with clean water and inhibitor
Cheaper than a power flush, still 50 quid though.

oilman said:
Just do what it says on the tin (or bottle).
or on the box (or tube) :LOL:
p_Super_Protector__Boxed_.jpg

Okey dokey then. Thanks for all your help will wait and see what Mr Engineer has to say on Sat about the Power Flush and the cost of it, then it looks like it will be time to hunt down the chemicals for a DIY job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back