To Remove Lath or Not?

You can get the moulding copied and reinstalled although it does cost bucks, it's an attractive selling point and also nice to keep period features, even if they are new. You are going to get dirty, your whole house is going to get dirty, dont underestimate the dirtyness.

Sponsored Links
It is always going to be difficult to advise on this one because it depends on your 'tolerance' of the flatness of your ceiling.

I have clients who think that perfectly flat ceilings are abhorrent, look out of place and ruin the character of a period property.

I have other clients who 'have' to have everything perfectly flat and not a hair out of place.

Whatever you do, be wary of adding more weight to it. 'Skimming over it' is definitely out.

There is some good advice above and removing the plaster, boarding and keeping the cornice is a lot of work but IMHO it will give you the ceiling that you seek.

If you want to see a bit more about whats involved I wrote about lath and plaster ceilings this week after working on these jobs for more years than I care to admit!

At least it looks like you have plenty of pro help!
Good luck :rolleyes:

Oh, to give you a'taster' of what a lath and plaster ceiling looks like under the skin so to speak........

lath-and-plaster-ceiling-with-large-section-missing.jpg

Read about some DIY options for your lath and plaster ceilings here.

Sponsored Links
I was looking at a house renovation and was advised that noise through lathe and plaster is much quieter than simple plasterboard, probably because it is so much heavier.

"Micilin- I've done this a few times"-

Never seen that done before, good compromise if going down the overboard route. You learn something every day.......

Take a good man to spot it once painted.

"Micilin- I've done this a few times"-

Never seen that done before, good compromise if going down the overboard route. You learn something every day.......

Take a good man to spot it once painted.

If you keep it back a uniform distance from the cornice it retains the feature of the top member of the cornice, which (to me) looks better than butting it up to the cornice

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back