Which size plasterboard for ceilings 11.5mm or 9.5?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am removing an old lath and plaster ceiling in both downstairs and upstairs but confused as to which type is best. My builder is suggesting the smaller size, as he says that's common in ceiling and 12.5 is mainly for walls :confused:

However, I think he should fit the larger depth, at least in downstairs celing, for extra noise insulation, even I'm going to fit rockwool between the joist for downstairs.

All the ceilings are being replaced. He has ripped the whole house old ceiling and putting plasterboard and skimm over it.

Is he right in choosing 9.5mm over 12.5 :confused:

Sponsored Links
No, he’s being a lazy cheapskate because 9.5mm is (slightly) cheaper & is lighter/easier to put up. He’s right that 9.5mm was mainly used for ceilings in the past not any longer, nobody uses 9.5 for ceilings anymore. The additional cost of using 12.5mm is negligible & it’s a much better bet.

No, he’s being a lazy cheapskate because 9.5mm is (slightly) cheaper & is lighter/easier to put up. He’s right that 9.5mm was mainly used for ceilings in the past not any longer, nobody uses 9.5 for ceilings anymore. The additional cost of using 12.5mm is negligible & it’s a much better bet.

Thanks Karis, for your reply.

Does the choice of depth of plasterboard affect the size of joist.

Does the choice of depth of plasterboard affect the size of joist.
No, if it did then the joists will have been seriously undersized; is your builder replacing the joists?

Additional weight is something you would consider when over boarding but it would rarely be a problem where there is a floor above. Don’t forget you’ve also removed the old lath/plaster & all the crap that would have been lying above it!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply.

Will insist on him to fit the larger version at least on the lower floor and maybe 9.5mm on the upper floor. Thinking to put rockwool on the lower floor for added thermal and sound insulation, what do you think?

Will insist on him to fit the larger version at least on the lower floor and maybe 9.5mm on the upper floor. Thinking to put rockwool on the lower floor for added thermal and sound insulation, what do you think?
I would insist he uses 12.5mm throughout & make sure it’s screw fixed not nailed, nobody uses those anymore either! Loft insulation wont help much; you need a dense medium for effective sound insulation, cavity insulation bats would work a little better but not much.

Thanks fellas,

Just came back from house being renovated, builder was dissapointed when I told him that he should get the larger plasterboard. His face gone red when I told him, maybe due to extra effort required to put them up by him and his mates, and will ensure he used screws to fix them.

Now not sure if he ****ed, he could deliberately use poor workmanship.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back