Builder has fixed 9.5 boards to stud walls/ceilings

I checked my plans and theres no spec for the stud walls either..

call your local building control officer.there may be nothing in writing if he is working under a building notice but there are still minimum requirements that need to be reached to satisfy these people.that way you can confront him knowing the facts.

Sponsored Links
Who prepared the plans? Are they the ones used for the Planning submission? I assume the extension is being done under Building Notice rather than a Full Plans submission? If you’ve submitted & paid the fee, you should contact & receive guidance from your LABC, as stated.

I reckon you should have had at least 2, possibly 3 inspections by now, have you actually had any? I assume that either your builder or you have actually made a Building Notice submission? :confused:

hi all, late update

i spoke to my planner who said he called building control about this he said "there is no problem with 9.5mm plasterboard to stud walls, between the ensuite there should be 50mm insulation and it should be moisture resistant."

i sumise theres nothing to say this cant be done but it is obvious it is "standard practice" and recommended from those in the trade to use at least 15m for stud walls. Its also stated by British Gypsum that this is case as well but theres nothing to say its agaisnt building regs.

I myself am going to remove (on maybe board over) with 12.5m myself and get wedi boards for the bathroom.

Do you think this is right what my planner has reported back? it seems unreal to think you can use 9.5 esp in a bathroom when its going to be tiled, even my tiler said he wouldnt tile on something so thin. It seems a grey area to me.

Sponsored Links
i spoke to my planner who said he called building control about this he said "there is no problem with 9.5mm plasterboard to stud walls, between the ensuite there should be 50mm insulation and it should be moisture resistant."
As I originally stated; sound insulation is not mandatory if the stud wall is between the en-suite & the bedroom it serves, only the stud walls between the w/c & another habitable room (the bedroom next door). Insulation would do no harm but, personally, I would rather he spent the extra cash overboading with another layer of 9.5mm. Building Control would not give a FF if you used 9.5mm or if it’s moisture resistant or otherwise (but yes it should be), it’s about what is accepted good practice & gives satisfactory results. Admittedly without checking back but I don’t think there was a single contributor who said 9.5mm boards on a stud wall was good idea. The combined experience on this forum is considerable & it’s outside accepted practice; your builder is being cheapskate.
i sumise theres nothing to say this cant be done but it is obvious it is "standard practice" and recommended from those in the trade to use at least 15m for stud walls. Its also stated by British Gypsum that this is case as well but theres nothing to say its agaisnt building regs.
It is if the stud wall is between the room with the w/c & another habitable room; it’s not compliant unless it’s Wallboard 10 with sound insulation but 15mm Soundblock is superior & probably what most would use. If your builder is saying otherwise, he’s being economical with the truth; ring your LABC & check for yourself.

I myself am going to remove (on maybe board over) with 12.5m myself and get wedi boards for the bathroom.
Why are you having to do it?

Do you think this is right what my planner has reported back? it seems unreal to think you can use 9.5 esp in a bathroom when its going to be tiled, even my tiler said he wouldnt tile on something so thin. It seems a grey area to me.
It’s not a grey area & it all sounds very suspicious to me; I repeat my earlier questions, did you or your Builder submit a Building Notice (it’s ultimately your responsibility) & have you actually had any LABC inspections yet because by my estimation you should have had at least 2/3 by now; if you haven’t you may well have an illegal extension there!

Why are you reluctant to trust the supported advice you have already received which is also being echoed by your tiller. :?:

I have always wondered who uses those little boards. Now I know who.

My questions is WHY?

Surely there are no benefits what so ever using those little boards. Unless you use a car for your work vehicle.

9.5 boards are a load of rubbish! I would never use them unless i absolutely had to.

And is it just me or do they make the skim go off much faster

iv had all my inspections apart from the electrics/final one.

my planner spoke to BC who said 9.5 wasnt a problem so i cant get him that way??

I am not reluctant to believe whats been said here i totally agree but what do u think about what my planner said about his contact with Building Control

no as i trust my planner but i would like a opinion on what he reported back

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back