Building stud wall forming shower enclosure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks!

I hve a stud partition which can only be clad in 9.5mm board.

I have read so much about preparation & materials etc to use in this situation and wanted to check my proposal is OK.

I am going to use one piece of board to avoid joints and use a tanking kit to protect the walls: http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-shower-waterproofing-kit-5kg/78484

Is this enough?

Will 9.5 board take tiles?

Sponsored Links
You mean plasterboard? I'd use 9mm wbp ply. Even so, this is a bit slim so you should add extra studs between the existing, and add extra noggins.
Can't remember offhand if hardie tilebacker board is available in 9 but if so it might also be an option.

I already have studs at 310mm centres (don't ask, I just put more in!). Is that enough?

If I use 9mm WBP ply will that hold the weight of tiles? Think all tileboard is 12.5 or 15mm...

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Cheers, C. Question still stands though. Will that thickness of board support ceramic tiles? Thinking of tiles larger than 6 x 6.

The thickness wont really effect the stength to hold the tiles, its the flexing that is the issue with the tiles potentiall cracking. Usual solution is to double board (total 25mm) or add extra studs which you have already done. I would have thought you would be ok but it wouldnt hurt to add a couple more to make 150 centres. Could save alot of problems later

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back