What plaster board for ceilings and best practice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Can someone tell me what I should be buying for ceiling new ceiling boards. Heading to B&Q and would rather have expert advice than the staff who seem to have little practical experience.

Is ceilign board simply plaster board? What thickness should I get 9.5 or 12.5. Also, what are the best screws to buy?

I assume I simply screw them straight into the joists and then use joining tape before the plasterer starts. What sort of spacing should I use for the screws?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
12.5mm boards, square edge, screws wise ad use 40mm
yes the boards screw directly into the ceiling joists, remember to stagger the joints of the boards

I'm with Steve,, although i normally use 35mm drywall screws,,,, that's a point, make sure you ask for "drywall/plasterboard screws".

Plasterer will have his own joint tape. He won't thank you if there's any unevenness between boards.

If you require extra soundproofing ie: living room below bedroom, then double board it. Same if you are in a flat with another property above.

Screw every 200mm.

Sponsored Links
Plasterer will have his own joint tape. He won't thank you if there's any unevenness between boards.

If you require extra soundproofing ie: living room below bedroom, then double board it. Same if you are in a flat with another property above.

Screw every 200mm.

Don't forget to stagger ALL the joints.

Is this better than soundboards? Genuine question - Never mind the theory, anyone know in practice???

:cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back