Ceiling - 18" Joist Span Ok for Fireline?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've stripped a lime plaster/lath ceiling back to 9x3 joists and will be replacing with 12.5 Fireline tapered board then taping (it won't be skimmed). The joists are centred at 18" but I'd like to double-board it.

Should I fit noggings(?) or will two layers of 12.5 Fireline be ok on the 18" span?

The ceiling is roughly 3.6m x 3.4m (if relevant).

Sponsored Links
stagger your boards mate this will prevent cracks shouldn't need noggins as long as the joists are solid. check for level too!

Got it done last week - first time doing this, not for the faint hearted. Given the weight of the boards I started to think it should be a professional that puts them up so they don't come down on me head one night.

It worked out well re landing edges on the joists. I did put noggings in for one edge as I decided to run the second layer at 90 degrees to the first. The joists were fairly level but it looked a lot better when the second layer went up.

Not pretty to look at now but should be fine when I've finished taping.

9 boards will do it mate, as mentioned stagger the boards so no joint goes straight through in to the loft space. start one side, board through then start on the side you finished with the first layer and work back.

good luck :)

disregard the whole post i just wrote :oops: :oops: :oops:

hes done it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
i need to get back to work, i think its getting to me now :eek: :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back