To replace or not - consumer unit

Sponsored Links
You should certainly expect a certificate - You shouldn't have to ask.

MK :rolleyes: MEM all the way for me.

When you say testing what does this involve?

I would have thought that it would have been tested to see if it works?

heatherw_01 said:
When you say testing what does this involve?

I would have thought that it would have been tested to see if it works?

There are dead tests such as Insulation resisance, continutity of earthing conductor, polarity, integerity of ring, etc and if everything tests out ok, there are then live tests, earth loop imediance, testing the tripping time of the RCD

Itrs not as much checking that it works, checking that it is safe is a more accurate description

Sponsored Links
Adam_151 said:
Supply and fit a CU for £150 is a very good price,
I think it's too cheap....

it involves quite a bit of work, because as every circuit is being worked on effectivly, the full range of tests have to be carried out on all circuits, is if they had just been installed.
Precisely.

Are you sure that he is doing the job properly and not just doing a swap with no tests and no cert?
I'd advise getting a couple more quotes...

Sometimes there is a difference between the standards that a general builder works to, and those of an accredited electrician. Sometimes lower prices mean lower standards.

Thanks guys.

He is part of a building company with who I am also getting a bathroom installed with at the same time.

Well the company does plumbing, heating and electrical work.

No gas work.

The fact that they do it does not mean that they are, or use, properly qualified and registered electricians...

Should I ask if he is qualified to do it?

I might just forget the electrical work :rolleyes:

Try saying that you need an signed and completed installation certificate, and will that cost extra, and you want a written quote. It should prompt them to quote for doing the job properly, by a qualified person.

They may well have allowed for an electrician being on-site anyway to do work on the bathroom, so it may not be fishy.

You should ask if he is registered to self-certify his work as compliant with the Building Regulations, and ask for confirmation that he will be installing and testing and certifying the installation in accordance with the Wiring Regulations.

One last thing....

I have a cooker wire I think my husband called it which is to the shower. I think it is 6mm. Is this fine for a 9.5kw shower?

The shower is no more than 15 feet from the consumer unit if that

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back