To replace or not replace aging furnace.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've been waffling on replacing our furnace for a while, and have gotten no closer to a decision. I'm hoping someone here can offer some insight that will tilt the balance one way or other.

Considerations:

-Furnace is 50 years old, but still running well. Motor was refurbished last year. I've been told that given it's age, sudden, irreparable failure is increasingly possible, though. This would most likely happen during winter load, a time which would leave us little room to make ideal replacement choices.

-Current Gas bill is ~2000(CDN) a year. (~60 in summer, ~250 in winter).

-Based on conversations with furnace techs/gasfitters, I can expect to save 30% in my heating with a new furnace, which I expect would cost me $5400 (CDN) installed. ROI=~10 years.

-I expect to live in this place for roughly 10 more years - 5 min, 15 max. A new furnace would not contribute to home resale value, as house is a pulldown candidate and purchaser would be paying for location, not dwelling.

I'm really resisting the idea of forking out $5000 for our furnace, and am racking my brain for alternatives. Here's another one that's come to mind:

- Replace our old-skool gas fireplace in the basement with something high efficiency. I think this could be done for a grand, and it should be able to partially heat our 1000 sqft house in case of an emergency. This would give us time to get a wood stove installed up stairs (~3000) to augment our heat.

The benefits of this are that a woodstove costs less, and we can take it with us when we eventually move out. If the furnace continues to run for 10 years, then we've saved $4400.

Ideally, we'd never have to take this route, but it provides dual-fallback and saves us from forking out for a full furnace replacement.

OTOH, the simpler, more linear solution is just to replace our bloody furnace and eat the $5400. I just don't know.

What does everyone think?

Thanks,
Sandyclay.

Sponsored Links
I think you would be better off asking this question on a Canadian heating & plumbing forum.

Personally though, if spares are still available for your old clonker then I would keep it.

Also, haven't you left it a little late to try and get a good deal on a replacement? doesn't it get really cold over there? like 30 degree below?

As has been said by the previous poster, Blokes on your side of the pond may be better able to help you.

But,

the technical details of your question are interesting and working on the "get more than one estimate" principle some one on this forum may be able to help.

To this end would you be able to take some digital photographs of the fire and the furnace so as to make it easier for us to understand the appliances you have.

Tim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back