To retain or not, and what to use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garden is fairly sloped and I'm digging out a section to put some kids play equipment. It slopes both widthways and lengthways.

The area dug out is around 4m x 2.8m,and the highest point is around 2ft higher than the lowest point.

The ground is fairly solid clay type stuff, so doesn't appear to go anywhere.

The plan is to line the hole with a membrane, then put in some of the rubber chipping into the area to cushion falls.

Nearby, I installed a 4x6 shed with deepest part dug down around 1.2ft or so, and this has log roll edging stuff running around it at a couple of heights and after 2 years of a lot of rain and some shine, it's still tip top and no issues at all.

So, that's enough background and detail. What I want is ultimately to have a tidy edge area for as cheap as possible, and ideally avoid the rubber chippings from being in contact with mud at any point. I want this as cheap as possible. Thoughts have gone the way of sleepers and cheaper yet, deck boards, which I expect could be ok, but I'm not completely sure. The log roll used elsewhere is embedded into the ground which may have helped hold back whatever pressure may be applied to it, but I have no idea.

So, cheap as possible please, noting that I go from 2ft approx at the deepest point to around 6cm at the most shallow.

Sponsored Links
Digging it to a 60 degree angle and piling rocks against it would be fine if you can get access to some for cheap.

Otherwise used scaffold boards is the cheapest way to get large strong bit of timber for very cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back