To self-level or not garage concrete floor with "grooves/waves" to convert to home office

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out if self-levelling for my garage floor is needed for my home office conversion. There are grooves all the way which some are up to 5mm deep. I'm planning to insulate the concrete floor on top with PIR boards of around 100mm and I was wondering if these grooves will affect them. In theory, they should take some of these grooves into the board once I step on top, but also there are so many and the weight on top may not be enough to make them sit properly now, but maybe later with furniture on top it will and then that will cause some movement on the floor. What do you guys think? My plan is to add a damp proof membrane on top of concrete, 100PIR boards, foil tape in between them or perhaps another DPM sheet to avoid any moisture from above sinking into the boards, 18 or 22mm chipboard on top, then a thin plywood layer as I'm planning to carpet on top. What do you guys think?

IMG_20210820_113334.jpg IMG_20210820_112850.jpg IMG_20210820_112836.jpg IMG_20210820_112816.jpg

Sponsored Links
Dry sand to fill the grooves, DPM, PIR, floating floor. Where do you think you'll be getting the moisture from above from?

As job and knock said,

The moisture will be coming from the floor not from above, unless you have a leak, which as your turning it into an office one would assume not.

Sponsored Links
Dry sand to fill the grooves, DPM, PIR, floating floor. Where do you think you'll be getting the moisture from above from?

Floating floor you mean floating chipboards?

Moisture from bellow and above the insulation, I heard any moisture can ruin the PIR boards, but also I was trying to be pro active with any water cup being dropped on the floor, but maybe that is me being paranoid

Yes, floating chipboard. Use P5 tongue and groove chipboard. It's moisture resistant. Good brands include Egger and Caber (both manufacture in the UK). Use D4 flooring adhesive and flooring straps, or a flooring slide hammer or a pull bar and hammer to assemble the boards in a brick pattern

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back