to tile or not to tile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had a nasty experience by having to use another (recommended!!) tiler when my usual tiler was too busy. They charged £600 for about 12 sq metres of tiles, including grout and adhesive. I initially thought that this was a bit steep, but they had done an excellent job with the plastering and volunteered for the job when they heard that my tiler was unable to make it.
I am now having to call them back as the tiles have slipped in places due to having to build up the wall to be even and having different thickness tiles to deal with. This should all have been second nature to an experienced team...or so i thought!
They also left an absolutely horrific mess, which as a fellow tradesperson I find unforgiveable as they clients are trying to live in this mess. And their attitude stinks.
As a committee member for the IPHE in Kent, we are trying to get some tiling courses under way for our members, at a discount (of course) and am wondering if I should hurry this along so that I can do the tiling myself. I reckon I could have easily done a better job than these two have done.
What do ppl think? Am I asking for trouble, or were they just a bad lot???

Sponsored Links
I am iphe in surrey and would love that kind of course to be available

:)

go for it

Well the tiling courses we are looking at are in Rye or in Harlow, so if you are interested you can leave me a mailie on [email protected] so I can keep you informed.
We are looking at about £200 for a weekend course that they would lay on for us as we all know how hard it is to get a tradesman to leave work in the week!! :LOL: even to learn something new

Sponsored Links
we are pretty slack with keeping the kent branch website up to date, but that doesnt mean that we arent working on it. We inform our members via "The Pipeline" that I edit every quarter or so, but I have your email now so can send you a copy of that with any relevant info on it
Al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back