Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Current system:
Asus K8NE-Deluxe Motherboard (754 pin)
AMD64 3200 clawhammer (1mb cache)
Gainward 6800GT Golden Sample

Ok here's my dilema.
I bought the Graphics card in February for £316. It died last Sunday, I took it back to Scan Computers where they gave me a refund of £250 because they had no AGP card of a similar spec. So the question is, do I spend the refund money on another AGP 6800GT (cheapest I can find is £200 from Amazon) or do I spend around £500 and replace the motherboard, the CPU and the graphics card and get an SLI setup? I reckon I could sell my existing motherboard and CPU on Ebay for around £110.
I just don't want to spend money on out of date AGP hardware.
Opinions please.
Thanks,
Gcol

Sponsored Links
Gwan .. spend some dosh .. You cannot take it with you !!
:cool:

It's only out of date if it doesn't do what you want it to. Why did you accept a refund less than the value?

Sponsored Links
Because the card isn't worth £316 anymore. It can be had for less than that from elsewhere. To be honest I was pleased with £250 refund - they at first offered me £175 credit! What use is credit if they've nothing you want.
What you're implying is that I can have a card for 9 months, have it break and because they don't have the same or similar spec card they have to give me a full refund. I've had 9 months use outta that card, and for them to give me the full refund would have been unfair. With a £316 refund I could have bought a s**t kicking SLI card. (although i'd have had to replace my mb and cpu. Fairness works both ways you know.
This is the second Gainward card i've had - both have lasted 9 months, so never again.
Igorian, you miss my point - an AGP 6800GT is now the same price as a PCI-E 7800GT. I just hate to pay over the odds for a lesser card just because they're in short supply now. What i'm saying is that maybe I should bite the bullet and upgrade while I have the chance - while my mb and cpu are still worth something and I haven't spent the money on an AGP card yet. That's all.
I hope you see what I'm trying to get at.
My pc did do what I wanted it to (and more). It's just that I like to play the new games at full quality settings and I don't know for how long a 6800GT will do that. At least if I get a PCI-E MB now, I can upgrade in stages in future if you get my meaning. I'm still not 100% sure though.
Best,
Gcol

Back