Todays hate domestics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Boss said; "Customer has put a new light up and says they can wire it so the can't switch it on or off."

"Make your mind up boss." says Sunray.

"Just go sort it for them."

I found a freshly decorated room withone of these https://www.valuelights.co.uk/rosie...PqrBUYdLnQO1REszIjNEP8AqjM0bRWoAaAg0AEALw_wcB and hiding inside the chrome base holding 6 spotlights I found a completely normal looking ceiling rose 3 reds and 3 blacks & earth sleeve. Loop is live (using LED screwdriver) and no sign of SL being live.

Time for questions; "Did the previous light work?"

"They were fans with a remote control."

"They?"

"The fans worked independantly but they both operated both lights. Our decorator fitted the lights but said it might need rewiring with smart switches."

Through the arch is an identical light with similar ceiling rose above the dining room table and again the switch by the other door did nothing. I was reluctant to remove either switch as they were both 'wallpapered in and painted over. Yeah lovely decorating job:rolleyes:.

Understanding both lights worked together and the description of low, medium, high, off on the remote control being a real pain as they didn't always remember which room had been switched on. I linked SL to loop in one room and sure enough both units lit.

Time for biting the bullet I carefully stripped the wallpaper from the sides of one switch and the rocker stayed put as I removed the plate but the wiring I found; red, yellow, blue and all dead.

Asking customer if there is another switch he phoned his decorator who described the position of an old switch position he'd found papered over "but most of the wires aren't connected to anything". Using cable tracer at the described position then tapping found a hollow sound the same height as the other switches, he gave approval to risk damaging the decor and open it, I found plaster and scrap paper then 2x T&E joined with choc bloc and 2x disconnected 3C&E. I soon proved they are the 2 switch drops and strappers.

While I went to buy switches, customer cleaned the backbox out, the 2G went in perfectly without decor blemish and the broken 1G with the wallpaper tucked in behind the plate was almost as good.

During the chatter it turns out customer moved in June and sorting out things. Then he mentioned the immersion heater timeswitch not working, that was another trip out to get a 20A DP switch.

Sponsored Links
Fancy fixing my house while your at it? Where the programmer was for central heating found a triple and earth and twin and earth, and a twin and earth sicking out of the wall in hall.

At the boiler also found a triple and earth, but at the programmer red, yellow, blue, and at the boiler brown, black, grey. And one open circuit.

Clearly some where there is a junction, but not a clue where, so I used Nest Gen 3 so only 12 volt on the cable now, and only need two wires.

I will guess some where behind the plaster board two cores are joined, but finding out where seemed a lot of work with little return.

Fancy fixing my house while your at it? Where the programmer was for central heating found a triple and earth and twin and earth, and a twin and earth sicking out of the wall in hall.

Sure £1 per mile plus overnight stay plus day rate (y)
At the boiler also found a triple and earth, but at the programmer red, yellow, blue, and at the boiler brown, black, grey. And one open circuit.

Clearly some where there is a junction, but not a clue where, so I used Nest Gen 3 so only 12 volt on the cable now, and only need two wires.

I will guess some where behind the plaster board two cores are joined, but finding out where seemed a lot of work with little return.

Sponsored Links
I had to go down to Suffolk for a funeral, I had hoped to meet long lost friends, but found mobile numbers no longer worked, and could not remember how to access the local repeater, and one guy had changed his call sign, that does not help.

My son removed my two meter beam, so I stopped using packet, and have lost touch with so many friends as a result, even my old email address no longer works, as the BBS has closed.

I had to go down to Suffolk for a funeral, I had hoped to meet long lost friends, but found mobile numbers no longer worked, and could not remember how to access the local repeater, and one guy had changed his call sign, that does not help.

My son removed my two meter beam, so I stopped using packet, and have lost touch with so many friends as a result, even my old email address no longer works, as the BBS has closed.
Nothing stays the same.:(

Apart from the rich getting the pleasure and the poor getting the blame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back