2 Way Lighting Plz Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all this is my first post In my Kitchen I have 2x 1g 2 way switches that power up 2 ceiling lights,What i want to do Is turn the switches into 1 way on each light ie: 1 way switch feed 1 ceiling rose X2 what wires would i need to change in the switches and ceiling roses to do this plz as my wife has already made me Decorate and now she wants the light setup different ;)

Sponsored Links
As Ban quite rightly says, it depends upon how your switches are wired and to a certain extent how the roses are wired as to what route you take to alter the wiring.

If one rose is wired conventionally (Feed in Feed out and drop to switch) with another switched feed linking to the other rose,and if one switch is wired as a one way that has a three core cable linking to the second switch then what you need to do is install an extra wire to link the second rose to the second switch.

It is quite straight-forward, provided everything is as described above:

Install a link as suggested between the rose with all the wires terminating in it and the switch with the two cables.

This wire you then connect (at the rose end) to the live conductor which feeds the second rose, using a terminal block or crimp connectors. The Neutral & Earth can be left as is.

At the switch end, you disconnect all the wires from both switches and reconnect as follows:

In the switch with two cables:

The twin and earth switch cable connects to Common (live feed) and L1 (return or switched feed).

This will now switch the ceiling rose with all the cables in.

In the same switch, the new switch link you have installed connects to the yellow conductor in the three core, while the red connects to the common terminal of the switch. The blue can be disregarded. Don't forget to mark the yellow as a live conductor using red tape or sleeving.

Tape up the blue so it cannot touch anything else.

At the switch with the three core cable, use the red as Common and the yellow into L1. Tape up the blue again.

This switch will now operate the rose with one cable supplying it.

There are two problems I have thought of while typing this up; one is that you may want the switches the other way around, and the second thing is you may only have plaster depth boxes, in which case putting extra connections in there may be a bit tight, but you could drill out the wall and fit a 25mm depth box.

Sponsored Links
Hello thank you for your Information but it wasnt wired how i wished it was ie its an EX Council House lol So i told the Mrs there was no way of changing it without taking up all the New carpet :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back