2 way hall light circuit - confusing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have 2 lights in my hall of my 1st floor maisonette.
The one at the top of the stairs is fed of a standard switch.
The one at the bottom of the stairs is a two way with a switch at the top and one at the bottom.

I have replaced the light at the top of the stairs with some downlighters and have disconnected the ceiling rose and fed the cables into a junction box. The downlighters work but the 2 way light at the bottom of the stairs no longer works.

The ceiling rose had 7 cables terminated in it.
2 from the light
2 from the switch
2 from the power
and 1 that goes of to the eaves, probably down to the bottom of the stairs. This is the one that is confusing me.

the 2 way switch at the top of the stairs has a 2 core cable connected to L1 and L2 and the COM if connected to the COM of the other switch.

I took a photo of the ceiling rose once I disconnected the cable to the light fitting. The image is attached. The light bulb was in connectors 3 (centre block) and 8 (right block)

the 7th single core cable, that feeds of to the eaves, is the one that has the grey insulation.

Does any one have any idea what the design of this circuit is? I thought I had connected all cables in to the junction box exactly as they were in the ceiling rose but I have obviously screwed up somewhere.

thanks for any advice.

Del

Attachments

• IMG_3762.jpg
    IMG_3762.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 87
Sponsored Links
Did you mark each of the wires in any way before removing them from the rose ?
Show us a pic of the junction box wiring.
And a pic of the wiring at the switch that operates the new light/s.
Re the wires from the original light,which terminal did the black go into ,and which terminal did the red go into ?

Last edited:
I worked it out.
I realised the link between the two COMs in the double switch was the neutral to one end of the two way switch and the single grey cable must be the live.
Once I cabled the wires up correctly in the junction box it all worked.
Thanks for your help and advice @terryplumb.

Sponsored Links
Where is the earth? Downlights will need earthing unless class 2

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back