Moving hall pendant light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to move the ceiling rose for our hall pendant light so that the light falls more over the stairs (which are currently rather dark and badly lit) and less over the landing (parallel to the stairs) which gets daylight from other windows.

I can access the lighting circuit that feeds this rose, from the attic (it's a top floor flat) and there is sufficient lee way (leaving slack) to move the two circuit cables to the new position but there isn't enough slack to move the switch cable which runs down the wall and to the switch. Can I extend the existing cabling with new cabling via a junction box? or should I rewire the light switch cable in its entirety with a longer piece of cable. I'm reluctant to redecorate the hall wall unless I have to!

And finally, would such work require notification etc.

thanks in advance for any advice!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Should I do the solution offered in the post drilled through a wire - ie join the wires with a 20 amp junction box ( 2 way junction box?) - thanks for any advice - all much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Ideal way is to replace switch wire altogether if possible to pull new up switch drop.If not then JB is perfectly acceptable.Use same size cable as existing for switch wire extension and make sure JB remains accessible.It is not notifiable as you are not adding circuits or carrying out works in bathroom/kitchen ;)

wicked thanks ricicle. One final question - does it matter what kind of junction box I use? - have got a 30 amp 3 terminal junctionbox.

thanks again

damson

Sponsored Links
30amp is a bit of overkill but is perfectly ok - just make sure the wires when terminated fill the terminals properly.Double over the wires to make sure ;)

Yeah - good idea 123.Terminate all the cables into the 4 terminal JB and just have the single T+E to the light.Why didn't I think of that :oops:

ricicle said:
Yeah - good idea 123.Terminate all the cables into the 4 terminal JB and just have the single T+E to the light.Why didn't I think of that :oops:

Why not leave the existing ceiling rose in place as a junction box and instead of the pendent flex fit twin and earth to the new location rose.

bernardgreen said:
Why not leave the existing ceiling rose in place as a junction box and instead of the pendent flex fit twin and earth to the new location rose.

Depends on your asethetical tendancies I suppose

Thanks again for all your replies - one final question (I hope!)

I've bought 1mm twin and earth cable (it says suitable for lighting circuits) - how can I tell if the original cable is the same. Do I check that it's got an earth and measure the diameter? Sorry for the dumb question.

thanks again

Check your circuit breaker/fuse for the lighting circuit.If it is 5/6 amp then the 1.0mm² will be fine.

Great it's 5 amp - so that's ok. And last last question! A 30amp 4 way JB is "overkill" - so presumably given that it's a 5 amp fuse anything over 5 amp would be fine (but 20 amp would be better cos there's more room to manouever?)

thanks heaps again

damson
:)

30Amp boxes tend to only have 3 terminals. 20Amp will have 4 terminals which is what you require (Live, Neutral, Switched Live, Earth) to make all the existing light cables into.

20Amp will have 4 terminals which is what you require (Live, Neutral, Switched Live, Earth) to make all the existing light cables into.

I thought OP wanted to extend the switch cable only

and there is sufficient lee way (leaving slack) to move the two circuit cables to the new position but there isn't enough slack to move the switch cable

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back