Electrics or decorating, which order?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I want to buy some new ceiling roses, rocker switches and gang switches for installation, these particular 2 rooms, I want to strip wallpaper and repaint.

Which should be first electrics or decorating?
(looks like plaster work around one of the light switches needs re-doing.

from novice....

Sponsored Links
Always Electrics first. As you have found there is usually some repair work to do.

I'm by no means an expert, but I would say if you can do the electrics, but leave switches/ceiling light fittings loose for decorating around.

Sponsored Links
I'm by no means an expert, but I would say if you can do the electrics, but leave switches/ceiling light fittings loose for decorating around.

Good idea. I had an assement from a builder who layed my new wood floor, he said Electrics were ok, otherwise if not this will cost me a lot!!!! to re-lay floor

Will hang losely ready for decorating.

I had an assement from a builder who layed my new wood floor, he said Electrics were ok, .

He's a builder. Has he ANY electrical qualifications that means he can make that judgement?

Would you ask the postman if your gas pressure is correct?

I had an assement from a builder who layed my new wood floor, he said Electrics were ok, .

He's a builder. Has he ANY electrical qualifications that means he can make that judgement?

Would you ask the postman if your gas pressure is correct?

Yep, that's a mistake I made! But he had one of his bods look at it. He has a team of 10 no fool, but yeah certified Electrian with history should've made the assesment. But the builder is doing my new extension so I hope he took the extra care!

Hi, I want to buy some new ceiling roses, rocker switches and gang switches for installation, these particular 2 rooms, I want to strip wallpaper and repaint.

Which should be first electrics or decorating?
(looks like plaster work around one of the light switches needs re-doing.

from novice....
If there is no necessity to have your lighting on, I would repair the damaged plaster first, do any papering, paint, then fix the switches and lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back