Toilet cistern and drain problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New cistern causing drain blockage

We have lived here for around 10 years

Last year we re-did the downstairs cloakroom and installed a Fluidmaster concealed cistern (behind a tiled false wall).
http://www.fluidmasteruk.com/our-products/cisterns/plastic-concealed-cistern-side-entry.html

On two occasions since then (never before) we have had a blocked drain on the short section which just serves this toilet.

Logic tells me that the new cistern is the problem and setting it to the max flush has not helped. It may be that despite warnings SWMBO is still pushing the wrong part of the button but I don't want to be unblocking the drain every couple of months.

Cistern is set to max volume on both long and short flush but is there any way of modifying the button so it only operates on long flush?

Sponsored Links
Any chance you used a flexible pan connector and it has kinked?

Sponsored Links
Flexible pan connector but no kinks.

There is a small round chamber outside the cloakroom and a second one about 6 or 8 feet beyond it, it blocks between the two. Don't see what effect the pan connector would have as the toilet would not flush properly.

Does it only get blocked when the wife uses the loo?

Does it get blocked monthly?

Andy

Just thinking it would reduce the force on the waste if restricted.
Unless the drop has been reduced by the new pan can't suggest any other solution, I assume you are saying that solids are not going first time. On full flush, unless the cistern flush pipe has been cut reducing the head, sorry but I'm out of suggestions

:cry:

The original cistern was close coupled so if anything the new one is slightly higher.

New pan is as far as I can tell the same height, if not there will only be 10-20mm difference.

There is a build up of paper and solids which needs a little help to clear, second time the second chamber was full to about 3" from the top.

I think the problem is the combination of short flush (which only allow water through while you hold the button allowing very short flushes) and a lady's finger.

What I would like to try is "fixing" the flush valve so you only get a long flush and see if the problem clears (pardon the pun) - now how do I do it or do I need a different flush valve.

How old was the former pan/cistern? I suspect there is a poor fall (or even a backfall) on the section of pipe that is blocking, and the original cistern gave a 9 litre flush, enough to shove the solid matter past the critical point. Even set to max, the new cistern would only give a 6l flush each time, there's probably not enough power in it to move the solids far enough, quickly enough, to where the drain has a better fall after the second chamber.

I'd try Squeaky's advice for a few days, flush with a bucket of water and see if the problem still occurs. I would hazard a guess it wont..... ;)

Last time the pan was full of water - I was a little slow to go out and deal with it.

It is clear from the second chamber because the first floor bathrooms (2 baths 2 toilets) joint there so there is a little more water flowing down with a little more momentum.

Original ground floor toilet was dual flush but the two on the first floor (about 8 years old) are only single flush!!!

Will contact fluidmaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back