Toilet cistern leaking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, novice DIYer when it comes to plumbing but not hopeless...!

Dual flush toilet. Cistern has persistent drip, seems to be coming from where inlet hose attaches into the bottom of the cistern. Currently only small drip and successfully being caught in a bucket.

Have carefully inspected cistern - no cracks etc.

My plan was to turn water off, empty cistern, take cistern off, detach all the hoses and pipes etc, and replace any sealant and rubber washers, and then reattach. I've been out and got some new bolts and rubber washers to replace the ones currently holding the cistern to the base.

But before I start, I want to make sure I'm not going to make any stupid mistakes - so...
- Any simple things I should pay attention to?
- Also, what sealant would people recommend?

Sponsored Links
Showing some pics would be useful.
Not quite sure exactly what is leaking from your description.

Here's a photo below. It seems to be dripping from where the hose goes into the cistern, then running down and dropping off at that join. I was going to probably replace the hose as well just be to sure.

DSC_1475.jpg

Sponsored Links
That's great, thank you for the advice guys! Will get those ordered and sort it soon.

Is there any need for any sealant or tape around any of the joins?

Sealant isn't usually required. The bolts that hold the cistern to the pan,
(depending on what variant you use ,a few different types on the market) can benefit from a few wraps of PTFE tape. Need to see which ones you have.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the input on this. Glad I checked before starting! Hope you're all keeping well!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back