TOILET CISTERN WATER INLET LEAK ON FLEXI HOSE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
TOILET CISTERN WATER INLET LEAK
Toilet cistern leaking from water inlet flexi hose threaded pipe section that goes into plastic nut bottom of cistern bowl. keeps dripping down onto flexihose. Tried fornex ls-x to try and seal- not working.

Need to change the flexi hose what dimensions do I need to measure on existing one so I know what replacement flexi hose to ask for please.

looks like 15mm pipe thickness, 25mm end connector nut size
and length 300mm
is there such a flexihose available ?

Also is it ok to use fornex lsx on the threads when fitting new one.

Regards,
Phil.

Sponsored Links
Usually 1/2" BSP parallel thread on toilet connection so a normal tap connector hose should fit. Fernox LSX is brilliant stuff it that does not stop it I suspect the thread may be knackered.

However Fernox can cause rubber washers to slip sideways when tightening so best only used on fibre washers.

Maybe a photo might help.

put fernox lsx on external thread of pipe flexi hose is connected to and has moved leak and now leaking on collar part of flex hose ?
measure current flexi hose seems to be 15mm 25 mm 250 mm
does that sound correct ?
regards.

The external parallel thread on a tap connector does not seal anything, it just serves to compress the washer in the top nut against the flat bottom of the toilet tailpiece.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help but not sure what replacement flexi hose to buy.
Not sure what size to get is it best to take old one to screwfix
or what measurements am I looking for.
Apologies but not done alot of plumbing.
Regards.

Measure the outside diameter of the copper pipework that goes into the compression end of the flexi hose.

The Fill valve inlet will be 1/2" BSPP, but just check the outside diameter of that as well.

Measure the full length of the flexihose.

Then you will be able to tell you are looking for 22mm x 1/2" x 300mm flexihose.

Yup take the old one with you. My guess is 15mm x 1/2 BSP about 300mm long

Yup take the old one with you. My guess is 15mm x 1/2 BSP about 300mm long

Yeah, i'd be suprised if it's 22mm copper pipe, I just used it as an example.
If you are confident using a tape measure then I wouldn't take the old one out until you have a new one to fit though.
You will have to leave the water off for longer if you don't already have a inline valve before the flexi hose.
Additionally, get a flexi with a isolating valve built in.

Thanks for the info
Is it ok to put fornex ls-x on both ends of the flex hose
or only where it connect to the mains pipe
Regards.

It is a compound for threads, don't use it on a compression fitting.

You are probably better off replacing the ballvave.
My bet would be the plastic thread on that had gone

Gets new ballvave get a brass shanked one if possible and 15mmx1/2"(1/2 inch) 300mm flexi

Thank, but dont understand what ball valve i have to replace
it is a flexi hose that connects between mains pipe and underneath the toilet cistern.
looks like it is 250mm long with a female thread connector at toilet end and a mail threaded connection at the main water pipe end.
What is the best way to replace this and should i seal with fornex lsx
at both ends.
Regards.

To paraphrase.
♪
Your feed pipe's connected to your flexi pipe.
Your washer is connected to your flexi pipe
Your flexi pipe's connected to your inlet pipe.
Your inlet pipe's connected to (part of) your ball valve.
Now hear the word of the plumber.

Dem pipes, dem pipes, dem dry pipes need sealing with a washer to stay that way.
♫
The tail pipe out out of the cistern inlet is parallel 1/2" BSP it has a flat seat on the end that the washer that comes with the flexi seals against, that's all that seals it, the thread is only to hold it firmly against the end of the pipe.
Usually the inlet pipe is plastic an integral part of the ball valve on old cisterns or in later ones an inlet float valve that serves the same function to shut off the water at the right level. These plastic threads are c**P and can easily get damaged or stripped, brass ones are much more robust, so if replacing a plastic inlet pipe, a brass one if you can find one that fits your cistern is better.

If your flexi has a rubber washer do not use Fernox on it if it is fibre (red or grey as a rule) you can smear a bit on the washer not the threads.

At the other end you will have a compression fitting with an olive (looks like a plain wedding ring) on the pipe you can smear some fernox around the olive before tightening up but again putting it on the thread is serving no purpose.

The only time you use fernox on a thread is where you are using male and female screwed fittings which are usually tapered threads (not parallel) the seal being made by the tapers tightening together with jointing compound in the joint.

Thanks for the info.
Sorry to be a pain but want to get clear about the mains wanter end of flexi hose
At the moment it has a nut on it and a olive and the main end of the current flexi hose is screwed into it.

when I remove it do i have to remove the current nut and olive
and use the one that comes with the new hose or use the one that is
still on the pipe.
if i need to remove the oluve and nut just concerned how i install
a new olive and nut for the new flexi hose to screw into
Apologies for the questions but want to make sure I know what I am doing.
All the best , thanks again for you great info.
Regards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back