Toilet cistern slow leak

Sponsored Links
Thanks. That seal should have been replaced. If you have loaded plumbers mait on both sides of it ,then it will probably do the job and won't leak

Wickes sell new bolt and seal kit. New doughnut in more than one size. It's only a few £s

I'm not a fan of plumbers mate although it will fix leaks and many use it.
Prefer to just use the seals supplied.

Yep, had I known for sure what seal to get beforehand, I'd of done that. But I had a free run of an empty house this afternoon, so I just cracked on with what I had.

The inner diameter measured around 2.5 inches, is this because it has stretched? I assume I'd need the 2 inch close couple seal.

If it does it again, I'll now know what seal to get before taking apart.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Yes ... 2 1/2" now because of the round nut, it would have started out @ 2". It's more the outer shape/size and composition of the original doughnut rather than the inner hole though, some are foam, some are rubber with one side concave, the other flat, others are just plain rubber and round. Yours looks like it's the 2" concave one.

large-rubber-2-in-close-coupled-cistern-doughnut-washer-08000130-1475-p.jpg

As long as it's dry though then jobs a guddun

Last edited:
Woke up this morning to a puddle around the toilet!

Different leak this time, appears to be coming from the waste pipe at the back. Not sure why that would start leaking as I didn't touch that area. Maybe re-tightning the cistern to pan/wall moved it slightly. Any ideas?

(you can see the drip forming on below pic, looks like it is coming from that seal perhaps)

Cheers.

IMG_20221107_073231.jpg

Could it be coming from above ,but collecting at that point ?
A bit odd for the pan connector to leak if you didn't move the pan itself.

Looks like it is coming from bottom of the seal to me. The cistern was pulled into the wall when tightening the screw, perhaps that moved it enough to disturb the seal?

Not wanting to disturb anything else much more, I wonder if there is enough play in the toilet floor screws to just push it into the pan connector more?

Thanks

IMG_20221107_083903.jpg

IMG_20221107_084234.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back