Toilet cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my downstairs cistern makes a noise like a ferry boat foghorn when it is flushed I have just recently put a brand new complete valve assembly in (from Taskers) a local DIY shop be me and that is making the same noise the wifes on me back :evil: :evil: :evil: HELP

Sponsored Links
is it the ferry on the mersey ?

what the cistern supplied by mains water or tank ?

useally its the diaphragm faulty they do that when they get old.
but a new never seen it happen.

did you fit any restrictors in the bottom before connecting the water pipe to it ?
is it all tight up top ?

Sponsored Links
When you say 'valve', have you replaved the float valve or flush valve?

I have a nasty Opella Variflush drop valve and a bottom entry fill valve of some sort and it makes the same noise when flushed, I dont know if its the fill valve through or flush valve though.

Replace with Fluidmasters.

when you fit the fill valve into the cistern and do the plastic nut up
before you connect the water pipe you can fit flow restrictors in the inlet to the fill valve depending on your mains pressure.
they come with the valve.

think you want to be looking at the fill valve thats the one that useally sound like a fog horn.

if you hold the fill valve up or stop the water filling the cistern then flush the loo the noise probably won't happen.

ya know what I ve been suffering with this for over a year and you have just sussed it , just done what you said and your dead right not a peep till I let go of the ballcock cheers mate your a hero, :D :D :D

thats what i was on about when i said the diaphragm fail when they get old or worn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back