Toilet flapper stays open, why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My toilet is fairly new, it has no build up at all inside. I'm not sure of the brand as it doens't have any names on it. It's a two push button flush and every other time you press the flush (doesn't matter which half) it just stays open. The flapper does not fall back down on it's own and then leak, it just doens't close by itself sometimes. If you jiggle the button it will fall so it doens't seem to be catching on anything either. i don't see a chain inside, it seems to open via a plastic lever type thing. when it does close it seals fine. i don't get why it's sticking open only sometimes? it's driving me mad! :( Pics attached of the inside. What do you think i need to replace?
[/url]

Sponsored Links
Good pictures! :)

This is one of the problems with cheap/imported/unbranded flush valve. :(

Given that jiggling the button helps, there must be something catching, or just sticking because of friction. You should be able to work out where the catching/sticky parts of plastic are, then it's a matter of either lubricating or shaving off whatever is catching.

Or, you could replace the flush valve with a branded one. Multikwik do a reasonable one. This option would mean removing the cistern to do the work.

I had exactly the same problem with a 50quid 'bog in a box' which i got from a local pluming shop.

Bit of a ball ache but I took it back to the shop and got a new one. This now works perfectly.
Not being a plumber I was worried I was doing something stupid but turned out to be a faulty unit.

I suppose you get what you pay for!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back