WC flapper - clever wheeze wanted

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I like the flapper valves to replace the old WC syphon (few working parts, good flow) and recently retrofitted one of these

p2938193_l.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...8&q=flapper&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=9&y=10

to an old cistern.

My prob is that this cistern has the operating lever on the side. You can see that this new flapper has quite a long brass lever, if the operating handle had been on the front of the cistern, it would have reached over to the middle and lifted the flapper by its chain.

I have bent the brass arm round, but of course it is not operating as a long lever now. It will lift the flapper but the leverage is wrong so the weight of the flapper doesn't pull the lever down and shut itself after use.

Has anyone done done of these before and got a good trick to doing a handle?

(it's a real job getting the old cistern off, so I really don't want to have to fit a different valve)

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
I like the flapper valves to replace the old WC syphon (few working parts, good flow)............

In fact, just like the attributes of the syphon, with the exception that when things go wrong, the syphon just stops discharging water whereas the flapper LEAKS, and can use loads of water, as they do, and historically are less reliable than the syphon.

Clever wheeze.............Bend the brass rod :idea:

Sponsored Links
Well, I've bent the brass rod into a "L" shape to increase the length of leverage about the pivot of the handle. Looks a bit odd but seems to work and gives an excellent, quiet, easy flush.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back